You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-27 19:07:37

jack_slapped

[solved] black screen after editing xmonad.hs

Hello arch forums. I recently installed arch for the first time and all things considered it went pretty well. I have to say I'm loving arch and learning quite a bit. Problems began to arise after I tried to start customizing my WM xmonad. I edited the xmonad.hs file and since then the only thing that shows up after logging in with slim is a completely black screen and the mouse cursor. Non of the defualt key bindings work so I'm not able to start up a terminal... otherwise I would just copy the original xmonad.hs that I made a backup of. The only key binding that works is mod,shift, q. And when it quits it brings me back to the slim login page and after I login it starts the whole process again.. I tried to execute a console at the slim login by using "console" as the username but that immediately brings me to a black screen and doesn't even try to ask me for a password..I think the solution to my problem is simply getting access to a console, if I can do that then I can just restore the old xmonad.hs file. If anyone can help that would be amazing.

Last edited by jack_slapped (2012-04-27 19:42:21)

#2 2012-04-27 19:36:58

Rubbishbook

Re: [solved] black screen after editing xmonad.hs

Press ctrl+alt+f<number> up to F6 and it'll give you consoles! Nano is a good editor for quick edits if you need it.

In future, if you edit the xmonad.hs while you're running xmonad and put

xmonad --recompile

into the terminal, it should alert you of any errors before you get in a mess with broken xmonad.hs's.

*edit* phrasing was ambiguous.

Last edited by Rubbishbook (2012-04-27 19:37:30)

#3 2012-04-27 19:42:00

jack_slapped

Re: [solved] black screen after editing xmonad.hs

Ahhhhh glorious! That did it. I didn't think about hitting ctrl alt and f2 at the slim login. Thanks! I did run xmonad --recompile before restarting and it didn't show any errors. But alas thanks for the help really appreciate it.

Board footer