You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-29 04:30:26

numbchild
Website

[SOLVED] how to avoid a possible impact on stability of urxvtd ?

I'm using rxvt-unicode. I want urxvt faster and save memory, so use daemon mode for urxvt with

urxvtd

is a good solution. But I found that there is a possiable impact on stability of urxvtd. if the main program crashes, all processes in the terminal windows are terminated.
So is there any way to keep away from this crash ?
For example:
use tmux or screen, so that programs can keep running.
(but I do not know how to do this)

Last edited by numbchild (2012-04-29 13:03:13)

Hack
Like computer , code , linux , hack .

#2 2012-04-29 04:34:27

Bellum

Re: [SOLVED] how to avoid a possible impact on stability of urxvtd ?

setsid?

EDIT:
I just tried setsid on a fullscreen ncurses application. WONKY maaaaaaaaaan.

Last edited by Bellum (2012-04-29 04:36:18)

#3 2012-04-29 08:56:17

guelfi

Don't let urxvtd crash.

Seriously, I'm using urxvtd for several months now, and it never crashed (except when I killed it manually). I don't know what you are doing that makes urvtd crash.

Of course, closing a terminal window normally kills the process, regardless of ther use terminal emulator. If you want to avoid that, use screen or tmux.
They are both not difficult to use. For example, if you want to have irssi in a screen session, just use:

screen -S irssi -xR irssi

This command looks if there already is a screen session named "irssi". If there is, it attaches to the session, if there isn't, a new session named "irssi" is created and the command "irssi" is executed in it.

See the wiki page for more details.

Last edited by guelfi (2012-04-29 08:56:50)

#4 2012-04-29 09:26:15

tomk
Forum Fellow

If you don't want all your terminal processes to be terminated if urxvtd crashes, don't use urxvtd - use urxvt.

That said, I'm with guelfi here - urxvtd doesn't crash. You've simply taken one line from a man page and made it into a bigger deal than it is.

#5 2012-04-29 10:12:23

Awebb

I never heard anybody saying that urxvtd had crashed on a not screwed up system. I don't want to say that it does not crash, but the possibility of you killing X by accident (X-ident? :-P) is larger than you doing something urxvtd does not like.

#6 2013-03-26 16:23:55

darkfeline

Old thread, but I've personally had urxvtd crash on me a couple of times.  Once was some curses app misbehaving, and another time was mutt loading na Chinese email after I had installed/uninstalled new fonts.  It's not a normal occurrence, but it can and does happen.  Keep in mind that no system is *perfectly* stable, and moreso if you like playing around with your system live like I do.

Board footer