You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-29 21:57:32

Liquen

[Solved] Error loading CPU frequency driver (acpi_cpufreq)

Hi all.

I can't load acpi_cpufreq module anymore. I'm not sure when this error started, but I used to have no problems loading the module.

The message I get is the following:

$ sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
    ERROR: could not insert 'acpi_cpufreq': No such device

Processor is Intel Core i5. Kernel is 3.3.3-1-ARCH. Downgraded to 3.2.13 but no luck. Nothing appears on dmesg.

Could someone point me any direction?

Last edited by Liquen (2012-05-01 02:09:04)

#2 2012-04-30 17:27:39

Liquen

Re: [Solved] Error loading CPU frequency driver (acpi_cpufreq)

With LTS kernel I get a different error:

$ sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
    ERROR: could not insert 'acpi_cpufreq': Input/output error

#3 2012-05-01 02:08:16

Liquen

Ok, I solved it. I just re-enabled Dynamic CPU Frequency (or something like that) and some other switches in BIOS, and everything now works. This is weird, because I just touched the BIOS in order to try to solve the problem. Anyway...

#4 2012-05-07 07:58:56

phekdra

Liquen wrote:

Ok, I solved it. I just re-enabled Dynamic CPU Frequency (or something like that) and some other switches in BIOS, and everything now works. This is weird, because I just touched the BIOS in order to try to solve the problem. Anyway...

Can anyone shed any further light on this? I'm getting an identical error on my I5. Could it be that I've upped the multiplier from the stock to 42?

P

#5 2012-05-07 12:34:45

baronmax

phekdra wrote:
Liquen wrote:

Can anyone shed any further light on this? I'm getting an identical error on my I5. Could it be that I've upped the multiplier from the stock to 42?

P

Check out this page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cpufreq#Daemon
I don't know if you set it up like that (for it to only scale to a certain frequency), or even if that could be the issue, but it might be something to look into. 

Just so you know, the best way to overclock the core ix series is to increase the turbo multiplier, not the actual CPU multiplier.  That way it still runs at stock speeds when you're not doing anything (and power management is allowed to downclock it for lower temps/freqs), but it ramps up the turbo speed (in your case to 4.2ghz).  This is how I have all my core i7 systems set up and it's been working fine for a long time.  Imo, there's really no point in running a cpu at max frequency all the time anymore, since the performance hit of scaling is virtually nil.

Intel 980x| 24GB RAM| Arch + Cinnamon/i3
Intel 2600K| 8GB RAM| Arch + Awesome/XFCE
Intel Q740| 6GB RAM| Arch + XFCE/Cinnamon
AMD Phenom x6 1090T| Ubuntu/Winblowz (gaming)

Board footer