You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-03 02:05:34

bhrich902

manually preparing disk...

can someone give me a quick step by step as to how to manually set 2 (3gig) partitions one (2.5gig) partition and a 625 (swap) partition. somehow i set it up but doesnt seem to do anything, do i have to click on write for each one or would once write the whole table to the HD??

with this set up im hoping to put arch, xp and another distro in that HD... (9.2gigs) thx...

#2 2003-10-03 03:00:58

sarah31
Website

Re: manually preparing disk...

make the partitions, make sure you select a filesystem type (linux, linux swap), write the partition table, then quit. then do the mounting step.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-10-03 03:20:29

bhrich902

hoe do i mount them?

#4 2003-10-03 11:20:19

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

I'm assuming you already used fdisk (or cfdisk) to create the partitions.  The next step is to create the filesystems on each partion.  If you're going to be putting Winblows on a partition, you'll want to install dosfstools.  You can then use 'mkdosfs /dev/hdxY' for your windoze partition,  'mkswap /dev/hdxY' for swap, and your choice of 'mke2fs -j /dev/hdxY' for ext3, 'mkreiserfs /dev/hdxY' for reiserfs, etc.

Once you've got the filesystems created, you need to make mount points.  I usually stick them all under /mnt.  Example: mkdir /mnt/winxp /mnt/linux.  Then you can start mounting the drives.  'mount -t dos /dev/hdaxY /mnt/winxp' or 'mount -t reiserfs /dev/hdxY /mnt/linux'.

NOTE:  You can probably use the old style /dev/hdxY method of specifying the disks/partitions, but you can also use /dev/discs/discX/partY with the new style devfs.

After you install M$WinXP, you won't be mounting it with 'mount -t dos' anymore.  That will depend on what filesystem you use under Windows.  I don't know enought about newer windows to know if you can even mount a windowsxp drive under linux.  My last version of Windows was 98 and you used to be able to 'mount -t vfat' to use it under Linux.  Anyone else with more Windows XPerience able to be more helpful?

Good luck,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#5 2003-10-03 17:17:29

bhrich902

thx...

Board footer