You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-03 22:05:35

PYTH

Gnome Session Fails to run

I got startx to work. So that is progress... now I am going to move onto gnome. I installed Gnome and when I run exec ck-launch-session gnome-session I get:

gnome-session[4888]: libupower-glib-WARNING: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connoect to stock /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No cuch file or directory
gnome-session[4888]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to sock /var/run/sbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

It continues on for about 15 lines saying the same thing...

Last edited by PYTH (2012-05-03 22:42:27)

Soli Deo Gloria!  - To God alone be the glory!

#2 2012-05-03 23:14:37

DSpider

Re: Gnome Session Fails to run

Do you have the dbus package installed like the Beginner's Guide said? And the consolekit package?

$ sudo /etc/rc.d/dbus start

Or better yet, add it to the DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf and reboot.

"gnome-session" is supposed to start D-Bus automatically, but just to make sure, add this to your ~/.xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch gnome-session

(comment out anything else you may have in here)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-05-03 23:20:29

PYTH

Ok. I started dbus and that worked... then I added it tothe DAEMONS... but I am trying to open it xinitrc but when I run nano ~/.xinitrc it cannot find it but creates a new file...

Thanks for you help!

#4 2012-05-04 00:02:02

DSpider

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

If the ~/.xinitrc file doesn't exist, you should create it. A nice explanation of what it is can be found here: http://www.slackbook.org/html/x-window- … nitrc.html

xinit is the program that actually starts X; it is called by startx, so you may not have noticed it (and probably don't really need to). Its configuration file, however, determines which programs (including and especially the window manager) are run when X starts up.

xinit first checks your home directory for a .xinitrc file. If the file is found, it gets run; otherwise, /var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc (the systemwide default) is used.

...except the system-wide file for newer releases is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc instead of /var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc ("X11R6", lol)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-05-04 00:07:12

PYTH

Ok.... I just found it actually. Instead or running ~/.xinitrc I ran nano .xinitrc. big_smile Here is what is in it:

!/bin/sh
~/.xinitrc

Executed by startx

if [ -d /etc/X11/sinit/sinitrc.d]; then
     for f in /etc/X11/xinit/sinitrc.d/*; do
       [ -x "$f"] &&. "$f"
          done
           unset f
fi
exec gnome-session
starkde
startsfce4
or the widnow manager of your choice

Thanks again for you help!

#6 2012-05-04 00:10:02

wonder
Developer
Website

you really need to read gnome wiki.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#7 2012-05-04 00:11:29

PYTH

I have it open.... and have read it.... and it does not cover the error that I am having... so if you aren't going to direct me to a specific section of gnome wiki then save your useless comments...

Last edited by PYTH (2012-05-04 00:12:37)

#8 2012-05-04 00:25:58

DSpider

$ nano .xinitrc
$ nano ~/.xinitrc
$ nano $HOME/.xinitrc

All of these commands will work.

Anyway.

exec gnome-session
starkde
startsfce4
or the widnow manager of your choice

Only one of them needs to be uncommented (ie. without a "#" in front). But they're just examples. You don't really need that stuff. Here's my ~/.xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session

Nice and clean. If you want, at first you can back up the file somewhere to revisit later. I'd say it's a good practice to get in the habit of (especially with more detailed system files).

#9 2012-05-04 00:34:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

PYTH wrote:

I have it open.... and have read it.... and it does not cover the error that I am having... so if you aren't going to direct me to a specific section of gnome wiki then save your useless comments...

PYTH, I actively avoided responding to this thread as in every one of your other thread you have persistently refused to read the documentation that has been recommended while you tried to take short cuts.  You snub your nose at (almost) everyone who tries to help, you claim to have read pages you clearly have not, and now you are quite blatantly disrespectful.

I recommend a drastic change in attitude before everyone on this forum starts ignoring you.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2012-05-04 00:37:01

PYTH

I read the documentation... you can't expect me to understand all of it when all I have used is Ubuntu before....

Last edited by PYTH (2012-05-04 01:11:08)

#11 2012-05-04 01:00:04

DSpider

Wonder is right.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME#D-Bus_daemon
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GN … ning_GNOME

If you prefer to start GNOME manually from the console, add the following line to your ~/.xinitrc file. Make sure it is the only line (remove the if/fi block from the standard ~/.xinitrc since the if/fi block can cause problems) and the only command starting with exec. See the xinitrc wiki article.

It's all in there.

Arch is a DIY distribution. Which means that you're going to have to RTFM a lot. And you're going to be told to RTFM a lot too.

But for now we'll try to be forgiving. It's different when you are used to working from a GUI, and the GUI doesn't start. Everyone in here has experienced that.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-05-04 01:09:42)

#12 2012-05-04 01:09:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

PYTH wrote:

I will be disrespectful to non-helpful people who are not doing a thing for me.,,

No. You will not.

Please make more of an effort to help yourself: there is little evidence of that in this thread.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#13 2012-05-04 01:11:34

PYTH

why in the world are the arch forums if you guys just pass around links?

#14 2012-05-04 14:49:42

headkase

I'm considering whether to pull out a Wooden Stake.

#15 2015-03-04 16:36:36

ShadowsOfTheAbyss

First of all, I apologize for resurrecting a thread so long dormant.  Secondly I want to thank those that took the time to reply to the original poster here.  I'm not experiencing the same problem that he was precisely, but the problem I was/am dealing with was touched on and dealt with here.

Thank you all for your time and patience with those of us that are trying to do for ourselves... despite our seeming competence or apparent success. smile

#16 2015-03-04 17:26:39

GloW_on_dub

Start a new thread.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … bumping.22

Last edited by GloW_on_dub (2015-03-04 17:27:21)

#17 2015-03-04 17:32:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Agreed.  Shadows, your grattitude is a nice contrast to what came before in this thread.  But there is nothing more to be said in this thread - please feel free to start a new one.

I'll close this one so it doesn't attract flies.

Closed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer