You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-04 21:27:00

trusktr
Banned
Website

A way to re-enable scroll bar buttons in Gnome (GTK) 3?

Is there a way to re-enable or add the scrollbar buttons (on the top and bottom of vertical scrollbars or on the left and right of horizontal scrollbars) in Gnome (GTK) 3?

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2012-05-04 22:36:35

Unia
Website

Re: A way to re-enable scroll bar buttons in Gnome (GTK) 3?

AFAIK those are theme-dependant. Here's a snippet from the Ambiance/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css:

/*************
 * scrollbar *
 *************/
.scrollbar {
    -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 0;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 0;
    -GtkRange-slider-width: 13;

See the backward and forward stepper lines? Try to see what your theme has.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#3 2012-05-05 21:11:06

trusktr
Banned
Website

Re: A way to re-enable scroll bar buttons in Gnome (GTK) 3?

Nice. I searched for those properties and set the values to 1 in my theme's gtk-widgets.css file (my theme is RevoLT by Malys) then refreshed the theme (by changing to a different theme then changing back) but nothing happened and there were no scrollbar buttons.

It worked after logging out then logging back in though. Is there a way to refresh themes in the classic "Fallback Mode" without logging out and in? Gnome Shell allows you to do Alt+F2 then run the "r" command but in fallback mode that doesn't work.

On another note, It's nice that the buttons can be turned on/off inside a theme's CSS, but I think it'd be more user friendly (maybe not for Archers, but especially for many Ubuntu users tongue) to be able to toggle this setting from within Gnome's "System Settings" (instead of theme designers deciding for us). Designers would simply design for both cases while letting users make the final decision in System Settings (or even gconf/dconf for that matter).

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

Board footer