You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-05 01:05:07

Silex89

[SOLVED] Firefox freezes my system randomly after installing Catalyst

Hi there dear forumers!

I installed Catalyst on my laptop yesterday, mainly to play Heroes of Newerth (the open source driver for my Radeon HD 4250 just didn't work for me). I followed the steps on the wiki, everything went just fine, I have no problems or whatsoever with the X server or with the apps. But Firefox is the only exception.

Sometimes, when I move around tabs the entire system freezes. The same thing happens when I try to download files, but again, it has a random behavior. I'm not able to reproduce the issue at my comand, although I have no problems with Opera or Chromium, I can pretty much do whatever I want with these two in complete freedom.

I have the latest stable kernel (3.3.4), Xorg 1.11, LXDE & Compiz Standalone Session (the issue appears in both environments), Firefox 12

Is there any way to solve this?

Cheers! smile

Last edited by Silex89 (2012-05-05 15:27:09)

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

#2 2012-05-05 01:16:55

Pres

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox freezes my system randomly after installing Catalyst

Debugging system freezes is always a challenge. I've found my system to be less stable since switch to catalyst, however the freezes are few and far enough in between that I'll deal with it (and all the other annoying bugs that come with catalyst).

Have you tried using a different kernel (linux-lts)? Checking the logs to see if anything is there? Making sure it is a hard lockup (check by trying to ping it or ssh into it from another comp, and by enabling magic sysrq keys and seeing if you get a response)?

Also, this might defeat the purpose, but what happens if you disable hardware acceleration in Firefox?

BTW, you realize AMD is dropping support for your card in a couple of months right?

#3 2012-05-05 15:25:05

Silex89

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox freezes my system randomly after installing Catalyst

I looked in almost every log file I could find, and nothing odd appeared.

Disabling hardware acceleration seems to work, I tried to saturate Firefox with 15 tabs, with youtube videos and java applets among them, nothing happened.

I didn't know AMD was dropping support for my card! lol. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I'll have to stick to the Open Source Driver.

Thanks a lot for your help! smile

Regards

Last edited by Silex89 (2012-05-05 19:27:41)

"The way your heart sounds makes all the difference" John Myung

I love Dream Theater! ImL
Best Guitar Solo Ever

Board footer