You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-26 04:02:25

elvalith

Trouble connecting to mirrors with Pacman

I just finished installing Arch 0.7 on my Toshiba laptop and managed to get it booted and everything. I decided that I would like something prettier to stare at then the regular Xorg GUI so I tried to install fluxbox on my comp. I typed in "pacman --refrseh --sync" and the terminal promptly spat back every single mirror in the pacman.d files with
"gethostbyname: Resource temporarily unavailable"
"error: cannot connect to ftp.archlinux.org"
and ended with "failed to synchronize current". I have no idea what the problem is because I had just moments before completed a FTP installation using those exact same mirrors and I managed to download and install everything succesfully. I also think that it is highly doubtful that over 10 mirrors all over  the world are down simultaneously. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I might solve my problem? I would really appreciate any help.

#2 2005-07-26 06:08:57

elasticdog
Website

Re: Trouble connecting to mirrors with Pacman

Just a shot in the dark, but does your laptop have two ethernet connections?  When I setup my desktop machine, the installer auto-detected one ethernet port and downloaded everything to do the initial setup just fine.  After the first reboot however, it defaulted to the other port and I had to swap the cable.

Note that I can connect to the servers just fine right now, so you can probably rule out the whole "internet is down" thing  wink

#3 2005-07-26 23:28:44

elvalith

No, my laptop only has one. However, I've found out why I can't connect to the mirrors. I did a ifconfig and apparently, I'm not connected to anything (I'm in local loopback or something). I can't even access my own network. I tried pinging this computer (my desktop), but I couldn't, meaning its not just a internet thing. So I guess I can solve my problem if I can connect to the network. Now that I've found out this little bit of information, can anyone offer any helpful tips or links?

#4 2005-07-26 23:39:28

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

elvalith wrote:

Now that I've found out this little bit of information, can anyone offer any helpful tips or links?

Start a new thread explaining the problem. Error messages and config files are  a nice start  smile

#5 2005-07-27 00:30:17

elvalith

I'll take your advise (two threads in two days, I'm on a roll). (Someone also might want to close this thread)

#6 2005-07-27 00:32:52

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

elvalith wrote:

(Someone also might want to close this thread)

No need. It does no harm.   wink

Board footer