You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-07 14:54:29

Larscha

[SOLVED] Running Arch headless

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to set up a headless server machine for some small tasks in my network, samba, printer sharing, etc, and I've got most parts up and running just fine. However, I would like to put the machine in my hallway without a monitor (basically just power and ethernet cables plugged in), and it seems as it wont boot properly without a monitor attached. It boots just fine when the monitor is attached, so I started looking in the wiki and online. All I can seem to come across is how to get X started without a monitor, but thats not what I'm looking for since I don't want any desktop environment at all running on it.

I have a feeling that it's something super simple, and I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the wiki. I would greatly appreciate some help or even just a pointer.

Thanks in advance!
Larscha

Last edited by Larscha (2012-05-07 15:42:20)

#2 2012-05-07 15:05:22

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED] Running Arch headless

It seems pretty unlikely that the lack of a monitor would cause a problem.  My first thought would be to check the BIOS, make sure it's not set to pause on errors during POST.

But in any case, what happens if you attach a monitor a few minutes after powering it on?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2012-05-07 15:41:51

Larscha

Re: [SOLVED] Running Arch headless

Oh snap. After your reply alphaniner I started looking into if this could be a problem related to the hardware I'm running. I'm running a mac mini, and it seems like running linux on these with no monitor requires a little adapter hack.. Will try this out asap: http://soledadpenades.com/2009/02/10/ma … ss-server/

Well, thanks for the pointer, just needed a nudge in the correct direction smile

Board footer