You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-26 19:20:40

Gullible Jones

idiots on BZFlag

Sorry, just had to rant about this. You see, I was playing BZflag and somebody calling themself "Lil Dog" signed on... The first thing he did was pick up a Genocide flag, and then wipe out the other team about 5 times in a row, all the while going "Whee, this is fun" or such. This seemed a bit weird to me, so I said, "You're not cheating are you?" He said he wasn't, but continued to display piss-poor sportsmanship, bragging about how he was such a hot shit.

Five minutes later, he switched teams... And when he started acting like an asshole - calling people stupid, bragging about how good he was, etc. - I and some others told him to shut it. The ass then claimed that we were just jealous. roll

"Lil Dog" continued to act like an insufferable asshat, and I eventually got booted off the server for swearing at him. Now, I should have controlled my anger better... But still, I can only look back and say "what a fucktard". I wonder what the bloody hell makes people act like that when they go on line. Probably the anonymity... Gah. Bloody idiots.

BTW, does anyone here know how to petition to ban someone on BZFlag? I've seen people start polls to ban a user, sometimes successfully... In case another troll attacks in the future, I'd like to know how that's done?

#2 2005-07-26 20:13:14

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: idiots on BZFlag

I found everyone i played bzflag against to be an insufferable tool - i gave up on the whole game!

#3 2005-07-26 23:16:16

deficite

Most people I played with sound like they get their personality from little kids shows. They are all like "keep trying! you'll get it if you try hard enuf smile"

I play games to wake up my senses and people trying to comfort me just doesn't cut it. Yeah, so I'm a n00b, you're supposed to treat me like dirt! That way I have a reason to want to dominate you. If I feel like a "winner because I'm trying" then why play? I've already beat the game and I need to move on to beat another.

I can see why that guy ticked you off, but he wasn't really breaking any rules by being horribly arrogant IMHO. Play most other games and everyone is arrogant to a degree. It makes the experience that much greater when you teach the people a lesson and they begin to phear you.

In the end, it's just a game and if that guy was ticking you off there are a crapload of bzFlag servers. I got really frustrated when I played because everybody would always beat me because some people don't do anything but play bzFlag. It just ruined it when they're like "keep on trying! you'll get it! you can do it!"

</rant>

#4 2005-07-27 10:20:00

lanrat

I spent a lot of time playing bzflag :-) This game can be really addictive.

Lil Dog wasn't cheating but he was TKing (TK = team kill). And he was probably breaking rules of the server. Most of them have rules available at their homepages. When you join the server you get the message like "Please, obey or leave". Most of them do not allow such behaviour and/or language. So he should definietly get a ban for that.

But there is always somebody who want's to screw other players fun. I don't understand it too. In CTF mode this is really frustrating. It's easy to get rid of these people when there is an admin present (@nick at stats). In other cases you can vote to kick or ban them. Read bzfs manpage for command syntax. Some servers require you to register at http://my.bzflag.org/bb/ before you get the right to start a poll.

#5 2005-07-27 14:04:24

Gullible Jones

Lil Dog was not TKing. He was just genociding the opposite team... again, and again, and again. He didn't manage to get a geno flag after switching to the other team, but he kept the attitude. roll

deficite wrote:

Most people I played with sound like they get their personality from little kids shows. They are all like "keep trying! you'll get it if you try hard enuf"

Interestingly, I haven't seen many of those. No, make that any... Maybe they only populate the free-for-all servers?

#6 2005-07-27 15:11:57

Kern

an insufferable tool

laughed hard at that one,  must add it to my repository of descriptives lol

#7 2005-07-27 16:17:04

deficite

Gullible Jones wrote:

Lil Dog was not TKing. He was just genociding the opposite team... again, and again, and again. He didn't manage to get a geno flag after switching to the other team, but he kept the attitude. roll

deficite wrote:

Most people I played with sound like they get their personality from little kids shows. They are all like "keep trying! you'll get it if you try hard enuf"

Interestingly, I haven't seen many of those. No, make that any... Maybe they only populate the free-for-all servers?

Yeah, that's the mode I usually played.

#8 2005-07-27 23:25:20

Michel

Heya,

I haven't played bzflag for quite some time (I play under the name Red Rock: I'm registered on ducati, .. if it still exists and I can remember my password). I mostly played ctf and the people were quite fun. I have "met" Lil Dog quite some times I think on Ducati and he didn't seem a bad guy (although I'm not sure and it has been quite some time). I understand that it is annoying if people start saying against other people that they are stupid. You can mention your problem in the bzbb-forum. Maybe he and others will respond to what you are saying. There is a ban-list, but I'm not sure if he will be banned. Like I said, I haven't played for quite some time and I'm not sure if somebody will get on the ban-list for calling names a couple of times.

I hope you will have some fun playing bzflag.

greetings,

Michel

#9 2005-07-28 00:32:02

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the world of online gaming.

#10 2005-07-28 02:57:30

Gullible Jones

Maybe it was a different "LiL Dog"?

Oh BTW, more fun people I noticed on BZFlag today:
- A fellow who was transparent to shots, but could kill other players and didn't appear phantomed... In other words, a cheater. Signed out as soon as someone noticed.
- A 12-year-old (or so he said) kid who spazzed out because he couldn't get a place on the red team during a CTF game, and - get this - claimed that he would TK if he couldn't get off the blue team. :shock:  No, I'm not kidding.

It's interesting how many weirdos online gaming attracts.

#11 2005-07-28 05:21:34

deficite

and linux distribution message boards tongue

#12 2005-07-28 07:42:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

Maybe it was a different "LiL Dog"?

Oh BTW, more fun people I noticed on BZFlag today:
- A fellow who was transparent to shots, but could kill other players and didn't appear phantomed... In other words, a cheater. Signed out as soon as someone noticed.
- A 12-year-old (or so he said) kid who spazzed out because he couldn't get a place on the red team during a CTF game, and - get this - claimed that he would TK if he couldn't get off the blue team. :shock:  No, I'm not kidding.

It's interesting how many weirdos online gaming attracts.

Ever played counter-strike?

No?

You ain't seen nothing.

#13 2005-07-28 16:25:09

deficite

I remember the first Jedi Knight (which was pretty sweet, it didn't lag on a 21k connection) and you could mod out your game simply by putting some files you download on the internet into a subdirectory of Jedi Knight's root called "cogs". The problem with it was that the servers didn't really check this that well so practically everybody online was using cogs.

I remember some of the stuff people would do on StarCraft too. Man, I miss that game.

#14 2005-07-28 18:51:47

dp
Website

since i have an external screen and run in mergedfb i gave up on gaming in linux

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#15 2005-07-28 19:53:30

Gullible Jones

You have a what and run in what? :?

#16 2005-07-29 00:18:16

dp
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

You have a what and run in what? :?

i have a laptop with support for dualhead mode of graphics. radeon driver can be set to use merged framebuffer and have the external screen side-by-side with the internal screen. this means that my effective screen size is 2048x1536 across 2 screens.

it is not really usefull to run a game across 2 screens, if they are not very close together. in bzflag, the center of the screen is the most important and this center is directly in between so i have to look at both screens at the same time. not very usefull.

it's like Xinerama, only that the driver itself is coordinating screens and that you have 3d-acceleration on both of them. - however, bzflag do not support multi-screen configs and i cannot tell it to run only on one. and only using another layout of X just for gaming is not very usefull. it would mean restarting X every time i want to game for some minutes.

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#17 2005-07-29 10:37:02

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

dp wrote:

since i have an external screen and run in mergedfb i gave up on gaming in linux

dude, can you help me with that?  I been trying to do the same!

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … highlight=

Board footer