You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-14 16:49:21

enjoysmath

[SOLVED :)]How do I record error messages to post to the forum?

My setup:
    Win 7 running Arch on VBox
    Arch networking is set up and working
    Nothing installed except for vim, links, + many packages included at install

Issue:
   Having trouble installing xorg-server (etc, stuff needed for GUI)

So I have all these error messages, and I would like to post them to the forum and they're too long to type.  Supposing I didn't just want to summarize or tell you the gist of the message, how would I copy the whole thing and post it to these forums.  I'm sure there are many ways, so let's hear some!

I can already redirect to file with:

pacman -S <package list>  > errors.txt 2>&1

How would I grab that data from my VBox install and send it either from Arch or from Win7?

*Edit*: I /am/ able to install some things with pacman -S <package>  (like vim).

Last edited by enjoysmath (2012-05-15 13:18:55)

#2 2012-05-14 16:54:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED :)]How do I record error messages to post to the forum?

Welcome to the forums.

You have links ... you can get on the forums with that.  Or you could (potentially) email the text to yourself and post it from your win system.  Or you could use a shared directory between the virtualbox and win systems.  Or ... many options.

Also, please make sure you have googled/searched the forums for those errors.  There's a good chance someone else has encountered, and solved, the same problem already.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-05-14 16:55:51

enjoysmath

Thanks.  Shared folder seems the most newbie friendly to try first.

#4 2012-05-14 17:33:43

Pres

#5 2012-05-14 18:00:10

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

enjoysmath wrote:

wall of text

Stop using pacman -S foobar, start using pacman -Syu foobar

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2012-05-14 18:14:04

enjoysmath

Mr.Elendig wrote:
enjoysmath wrote:

wall of text

Stop using pacman -S foobar, start using pacman -Syu foobar

Could you add me to IRC channel?

nick: enjoysmath

Last edited by enjoysmath (2012-05-14 18:26:05)

#7 2012-05-14 18:18:32

enjoysmath

This is the definitely the most newbie-friendly.  To do a shared folder I had to install Guest Additions, and so on (an all day project for me).

pacman -Syu curlpaste
curlpaste -s codepad            
curlpaste my_errors_to_share.txt     

#8 2012-05-14 18:40:58

DSpider

If you have curl installed (which you probably do, it even comes with the netinstall image), this will also work:

$ pacman -Qi xorg-server | curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us
$ echo "hello world" | curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us

You can also shorten it with an alias from ~/.bashrc or system-wide from /etc/bash.bashrc (so that both regular users and root can use it):

[...]
alias web='curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us'

Then you'll be able to use:

$ pacman -Qi xorg-server | web
$ echo "hello world" | web

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#9 2012-05-15 00:57:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

enjoysmath wrote:

To do a shared folder I had to install Guest Additions, and so on (an all day project for me).

You MAY want to consider whether you have enough time to play around with Arch Linux, in that case.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2012-05-15 02:01:35

enjoysmath

ngoonee wrote:
enjoysmath wrote:

To do a shared folder I had to install Guest Additions, and so on (an all day project for me).

You MAY want to consider whether you have enough time to play around with Arch Linux, in that case.

I have.  I've tried other distros and each one of them had problems.  So to solve my problems, I'm going to need to understand linux more.  For that reason, I chose Arch.  And it was recommended by an IRC friend who is doing similar code writing as me, and if we work on this project together we can help each other out with our computer issues.  E.g. If I'm on win 7 and he's on Arch, I have some weird issue with Visual D, and all he can say is good luck!  Once I've got my setup working, we can help each other since we'll both be running into the same bugs.   Another reason is speed, basic linux with minimal crap pre-installed seems to run way faster in VBox.  I'm in AZ, where the temperature really does affect CPU temp.

In learning linux, there is a healthy trade off between learning every detail about one thing and just skimming over and going back to it later.  I am now doing more of the latter so that I can have just the basics up and running, X-windows, sound, networking, and so on...  So when I see a sed command, I think 'yeah it would be worth it to learn how to use sed,'  but if I did nothing but learning sed for the next week, I would not meet certain idealistic goals I have for myself.  And if I take too long, on one thing, how do I know that what I am doing is the smart way to do it?  I need the bigger picture for that.  So I need to carefully manage what little time I have on Earth, and use all I know, all my intuition to make the right decision at each step, and sometimes that decision is either: try something else, get help from someone else, understand something more, sleep on it.  I lost my point somewhere in there.  But yeah, I am an able to learn, in my own way, what I want, and when I want to.  When the time comes for me to teach, I will understand my pupils, and encourage them, knowing each one is relatively unique in their goals and plans for Arch or w/e I'm teaching them.

#11 2012-05-15 02:05:22

enjoysmath

DSpider wrote:

If you have curl installed (which you probably do, it even comes with the netinstall image), this will also work:

$ pacman -Qi xorg-server | curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us
$ echo "hello world" | curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us

You can also shorten it with an alias from ~/.bashrc or system-wide from /etc/bash.bashrc (so that both regular users and root can use it):

[...]
alias web='curl -F "sprunge=<-" http://sprunge.us'

Then you'll be able to use:

$ pacman -Qi xorg-server | web
$ echo "hello world" | web

I did something and the issue fixed itself.  Maybe it was pacman -Syu... .   Should I mark this [SOLVED]?

#12 2012-05-15 06:35:18

jgreen1tc

enjoysmath wrote:

I did something and the issue fixed itself.  Maybe it was pacman -Syu... .   Should I mark this [SOLVED]?

I would say so since you learned how to get your error messages onto the forums without typing them in by hand.

Board footer