You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-15 22:29:32

Axalon

KDE and headphone trouble again

I had this problem awhile ago and never got it fixed, despite scouring the internet the best I could and asking for help here. I eventually switched to Cinnamon full time because my headphones worked in it without giving me a headache. I foolishly got rid of Arch for another distro, realized that I missed it, and re-installed it. Well, same problems.

I am having a hell of a time getting my headphones (Logitech Comfort Clearchat USB) to work in KDE. They work just fine in Windows and Cinnamon so I know that they're in working order. In KDE however... Well I set them as prefered device in Phonon. So, as long as I have them plugged in, Amarok would output to my headphones. However nothing else did. I did mess around with the audio settings in umplayer and now it will output to my headphones, but nothing I did to VLC would and Firefox simply refuses to output to anything other than my speakers. I'm not even sure where to begin trying to get Firefox to cooperate. I installed Pulseaudio to see if it would make a difference but it hasn't.

I haven't messed with my audio since this morning, all I did was install and look around pavucontrol, though nothing I did in there helped. I decided to try again later, a few hours passed, and now suddenly things have changed without me doing a thing. Now when I put my headphones in audio will simply become very quite, I can increase the volume but again, it just outputs through my speakers. I can't even hear things in Amarok anymore, whether I've got my headphones plugged in or not.

Now every time I open up Phonon, sometimes even Amarok I get the message "KDE detected that one or more of these internal devices were removed." It then asks me if I want KDE to forget about them. Sometimes it only lists "Output:HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog (Default audio device)", sometimes it lists that plus "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo".

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at my wit's end here.

Edit: Well I set Built-in Audio Analog Stereo above RV770 HDMI Audio in Phonon, so how I can hear sounds from Amarok and Umplayer again, so when I plug my headphones in audio output is directed to them. Unfortunately I still can't get Firefox or VLC to do the same. I'm not as concerned about VLC, what I'm really wanting to play nice is Firefox.

Last edited by Axalon (2012-05-16 21:03:18)

#2 2012-05-16 02:23:21

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: KDE and headphone trouble again

Have you followed the alsa page on the arch wiki?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-05-16 02:41:16

Axalon

I've been all over the ALSA and Pulseaudio pages, and I've done quite a bit of Googling but so far I'm having no luck. I've heard that Firefox and VLC don't use Phonon so that's probably my problem. Unfortunately I'm not sure what they use.

Last edited by Axalon (2012-05-16 02:43:03)

#4 2012-05-16 03:21:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sorry, I know nothing about phonon.  Doesn't that build on top of alsa?  Have you set the default in your ~/.asoundrc?  Does that change the output?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-05-16 04:32:02

toad
Website

Can't really help you either but would suggest you try your luck here: http://forum.kde.org

There are some competent people around who might be able to help.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#6 2012-05-16 06:24:15

Axalon

I created a asoundrc file and believe I set it correctly, unfortunately nothing changed. I also created a thread about this on KDE's forum last night, and Linux Questions earlier but so far, nothing. I just have absolutely no idea why KDE hates my headphones so much, it's the one thing that made me run back to Cinnamon before, but I'd rather not do that this time.

Getting closer... VLC will now output to my headphones. All I did today was choose my headphones as the master channel in Kmix, which solved my issue of not being able to control headphone volume with my keyboard. Now the only application that continues to refuse to work with me is Firefox. Chromium will output audio to my headphones so I know that at least some browsers are cooperating.

Last edited by Axalon (2012-05-16 21:18:59)

Board footer