You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-15 23:20:08

eric17

[Solved]After binding, does it takes space in real home too?

i have binded my /home folders(which is in root itself) to other(data) partition folders, so whenever i put my files in here they get reflected there
so, my question is, does these files takes up equal space on both places or they are just 'shown' in me real /home

also, if i install heavy programs like ms office(coz libre and openoffice can't do as much as this can), visual studio, so does wine allows me to store these installation in my other(data) partition?

and, which is better one, crossover or wine?
srry if its too much smile
and thnx in advnc wink cool

Last edited by eric17 (2012-05-25 18:24:24)

#2 2012-05-15 23:29:46

boswbr25

Re: [Solved]After binding, does it takes space in real home too?

I can answer your first question...  It only takes up space on the /home partition.

And I am pretty sure you can install Wine programs to either partition.  I think it just depends on if you set up Wine's "C://" drive in your /home or in root.  I'm not positive about that one though.

#3 2012-05-15 23:42:19

eric17

boswbr25 wrote:

I can answer your first question...  It only takes up space on the /home partition.

no!..i just checked by deleting some GB's of video files, it increased free space in my data partiton, but in /root(where /home is too,as no seperate partition for it) is showed same free space as before, which means / partition'space is filled only with all files except those in /home, coz files in there are just pointers, pointing to there original location, which is in folders of data partition

Last edited by eric17 (2012-05-15 23:45:37)

#4 2012-05-16 03:30:22

boswbr25

Sorry man, I guess I misunderstood you or you misunderstood me (most likely a combination of both).  I meant that the files will only take up space in /home but not that they are like backed up if you delete them from there.

I think the reason for the misunderstanding is that you ended by asking if the files are only "shown" in the /home. Then I answered by saying the files only take up space in the /home partition.  I didn't mean that they have no use (or are wasting space there).  I meant that they will not take up the HD space on each partition.  I thought that seemed like what you were asking at the beginning of the post and missing the end of that section where you asked if they are just "shown" in /home made what I said sound different than I meant it. 

I hope you didn't lose anything important.  Feel like an arse now for not paying more attention to everything you said.  Sorry, wasn't trying to make you obliterate some files.  sad

Edit: I think I am even more confused after reading again.  I think I completely misunderstood what you said in the first post.  I thought that you said /home was a seperate partition and that is what you were asking about but now I just reread your most recent post and saw that you said it is not a separate partition from root.  Sorry, major misunderstanding.

Last edited by boswbr25 (2012-05-16 03:35:00)

#5 2012-05-16 05:55:03

tomk
Forum Fellow

I have no idea what you have done, eric17 - your description is very unclear. Post your partition table, and define exactly what you mean by "binding".

#6 2012-05-16 12:38:55

eric17

@boswbr25: no need for such heavy apology, man...deleted files were only movies that i was never gonna see again

tomk wrote:

Post your partition table, and define exactly what you mean by "binding".

its like this:
/root   (arch)        sda1
/root   (fedora)     sda2
/swap                 sda3
(a data partition)  sda4

now , folders in /home/eric of each(sda1 & sda2) are binded to corresponding forders in /eric of sda4, i.e. /etc/fstab contains these 'extra' entries on each distro:

/dev/sda4   /media/sda4   ext4  defaults  0  2
/media/sda4/eric/Downloads    /home/eric/Downloads   none   bind   0  0
/media/sda4/eric/Pictures      /home/eric/Pictures        none   bind    0  0

now, initially there was 11.0GB free in /root(sda2) and 498.6GB in sda4.....after deleting 1GB movie from /home/eric/Videos(sda2) the movie got deleted both from sda2 & sda4, but sda2 free space remains same and sda4's increases......this means that files in /home/eric(sda1 & sda2) are just acting like pointers to ones in sda4, and ofcourse both places can be used to r/w them

#7 2012-05-16 14:57:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

IMO it would be simpler to make sda4 into a separate /home partition.

#8 2012-05-16 16:29:57

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

eric17 wrote:

after deleting 1GB movie from /home/eric/Videos(sda2) the movie got deleted both from sda2 & sda4

No, it only got deleted from one. Assuming that you've bound /media/sda4/eric/Videos to /home/eric/Videos, then the video would have been deleted from /dev/sda4. If you know you have the file on /dev/sda1 too, then you'll have to unmount the bound directory to be able to delete it from there.

To an end user, binding a directory to another directory has the same effect as mounting a partition onto a directory. Anything in the mount-point directory is buried under the mounted directory/partition's contents. It's still there, and it still takes up space on it's partition, but you just can't see it.

IMO it would be simpler to make sda4 into a separate /home partition.

Simpler to set up, but more problematic in the long run imo.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer