You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-18 13:55:39

Tectu

Installation issue - hanging at mounting /sfs/usr-share

Hello Guys,

I really don't know what's wrong, so I need your help here: I used to do a dozen arch linux installations, and I never had trouble. Today, I have to reinstall my workstation. So as usuall, I put in the disc and booted from it. But it keeps hanging here:

:: Mounting '/bootmnt/arch/any/usr-share.fs.sfs' (SquashFS) to '/sfs/usr-share'

I am not sure where the problem is here, because I used a CD which i used a week ago to install a few other systems.
Also, I downloaded and burned a CD and USB stick - with the same error at booting.
What does this mean? How can I fix it?

Thank you for your help, guys

~ Tectu

#2 2012-05-18 15:26:05

MadTux

Re: Installation issue - hanging at mounting /sfs/usr-share

Am I right in assuming that you verified the download before creating the cd and usb media?

#3 2012-05-18 15:31:02

Tectu

Well, no.

I assume that the CD which worked a week ago does still work now, since I handle them very carefully.

To the two downloads: I didn't do that, probably I should do that from now on...

~ Tectu

#4 2012-06-04 13:17:39

garbawnzo

Same problem here. I've downloaded both core and netinstall (x86_64), verified MD5 checksums, burned multiple discs at x1 and verified burn. All hang at ":: Mounting '/bootmnt/arch/any/usr-share.fs.sfs' (SquashFS) to '/sfs/usr-share'"

#5 2012-06-15 10:53:58

Bompi

I am having the same problem. I have tried installing from both DVD and Hard drive. I ran into the same problem with both.

The DVD I used worked perfectly when I used it to install Arch to a virtual machine (This was done after a failed attempt.)

Disabling all non-essential devices in bios had no effect.

Might be worth noting that a Windows 7 installation hangs for a few minutes at specific points in the installation on this computer (I have installed Windows 7 four times, and it hangs at the same points every time. This has not happened on a virtual machine or on other computers I have tested.)

Edit: Managed to solve my problem by physically removing the sound card. I can now install Arch without any problems. It broke when I restarted it after I updated everything, but this is probably a completely unrelated problem.

Edit 2: Removing the sound card also fixed the Windows 7 problem. The sound card is a Creative SupremeFX that came free with my motherboard.

Last edited by Bompi (2012-06-16 11:27:59)

Board footer