You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-20 08:54:24

eric17

[Solved]Installing Heavy Applications on a seperate data Partition

I have installed Matlab on a data partition(sda5).......i created a dedicated folder named Program_Files there, for heavy installations like these
the Program_Files folder have only root permission, so whenever i try opening matlab through terminal or explorer(i.e. without being root), the program doesn't start
program only starts when started being root in terminal

should I change permission to usergroup for 'Program_Files'?(as expalined here:LINK.......but i thought that is not a good idea for installed files, what to do? hmm

how do i create its symlink(like shortcut in windows) on desktop?...............i skipped the step to create symlink during installation
[Also: when i am writing on blogs,text files,etc. the cursor jumps to random places...i.e. when i am writting somewhere, next instant i will be writing 2 lines above in between random words mad ...how to solve this keyboard problem?.................ASUS X44H.....US keyboard settings]
[Also: HOW TO MARK A THREAD SOLVED?......i have previous threads, which are solved...)
thnx in advance wink

Last edited by eric17 (2012-05-25 18:24:05)

#2 2012-05-20 14:39:15

MadTux

Re: [Solved]Installing Heavy Applications on a seperate data Partition

If you start the program as root, it runs with root privileges. So personally, I would consider it a security risk and I wouldn't do it.

#3 2012-05-20 15:01:31

chamber

For the cursor jumping that could be your trackpad is very sensitive and your hand is touching it.

For marking threads solved just edit the title of your first post so that it reads [SOLVED]

meh

#4 2012-05-21 13:56:30

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

eric17 :

Since /opt is rarely used nowadays, maybe you could put /opt on a separate partition and change the PKGBUILDs to use /opt instead of /usr as install location.
That would solve any permission problems imo.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2012-05-21 19:58:28

eric17

after i installed Gnome, i was getting permission problems, then i tried changing permission to user, nothing happened......so instead i unistalled it, and then reinstalled it in / itself where by default it goes, now problem solved

thnx for replies smile

Board footer