You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-20 19:37:41

Thme

Splicing error when copying from ext. HDD

Ok so we have three notebooks at home and all are running arch with nearly the same configs (xinitrc, rc.conf, and so on.)
On my friends new 15" laptop I have compiz and XFCE working with thunar mounting properly as far as i can tell.
copying any large directory(ranging upwards from 50 directories and subdirectories with hundreds of files, mostly music) from his external 1.5tb seagate to the laptop(asus x53u xr1) I get a splicing error in thunar and it then it crashes when i try to skip, skip all or cancle. leaving the remaining files that were copied intact but failing to continue. when this happens it apparently remounts and opens an instance of thunar for each partition on the external drive(main on ext4 the other fat32.)
The drive was previously shared between my two netbooks with identical GUID, and account setup. before accessing the drive on his laptop I had to run "chown -R" to make the drives ownership match that of his account setup.
when I view the drive in nautilus(which also crashes when trying to copy large directories but doesn't give me a popup with the error message), many apparently random folders and files turn up with the permissions and owner values changed for "root". retrying chown and chmod recursively fails even when ran in root(chown only). Read though a lot of volume mount issues and wikis regarding some of the symptoms to this issue but nothing is clearly helping me resolve it. Any suggestions. If i can find where the logs related to this are I'll post them as well.

"Hidden are the ways for those who pass by, for light is perished and darkness comes into being." Nephthys:
Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts

Board footer