You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-29 12:40:45

jackmetal

Best Linux Forums

I would like to know and I'm sure others would also:

What are some of the best informational forums on Linux, that YOU use? 

I am a fairly new member of the ArchLinux community, but I've been using Linux since the mid-90's (and some OS's longer than that - like AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, VMS, etc...)  I want to contribute to the community here but I also look other places, and was wondering what others liked.

Some of the ones I peruse are: ArchLinux (of Course), Experts Exchange, LinuxQuestions, Gentoo, OSNews and DesktopLinux.

-- = = * *  E D I T E D  * * = = - -
There are many others: LinuxForum.com, LinuxForums.org, HappyPenguin.org, Unix/Linux Forum, LinuxSelfHelp, LinuxBoards.org, and hundreds more......  and not to forget the "big-boys" (as I did): Fedora, Mandravia, Debian, what about MicroSoft too?  ;-)

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#2 2005-07-29 13:14:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Best Linux Forums

This thread is sooo................ warped?

OSNews isnt even a help forum, its a new site.

And you're asking it on a Arch forum.... what do you expect the response to be?

Not to mention the fact that the poll is incomplete. You offer gentoo's forums, but not fedora or mandrake's? why does gentoo deserve it and those dont?

anyway, enough bitching about a poor poll, i voted arch. duh.

iphitus

#3 2005-07-29 13:22:06

jackmetal

Thanks for bashing my first poll on here!  As the name implied, "Informational" and not 'just' help forums. ;-)

Actually, Arch probably shouldn't have even been included..It's a given.. <grin>

I just thought it would be interesting to see what good Linux information portals other people used.  I thought I (and maybe someone else) would find it informative and maybe learn of a new site that we hadn't heard of before.

Maybe a poll wasn't the best thing to do for this though.   lol

- - = = * *  E D I T E D  * * = = - -
Well, I tried to edit the poll and of course it wouldn't let me.  So much for my crappy first poll.   :-(

If someone could please just delete the poll......I would appreciate it!

--

-- Doug Larson

#4 2005-07-29 15:14:43

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

fullmetaljack wrote:

I tried... i still see results, because I voted.... so I have no idea if its gone or not

#5 2005-07-29 15:16:14

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:
fullmetaljack wrote:

I tried... i still see results, because I voted.... so I have no idea if its gone or not

was still there...  but I managed to delete it. Go figure.  :?

Dusty

#6 2005-07-29 17:54:44

jackmetal

Thank you much!

Now, if I can just get some replies...   I wanted to see if I already knew ALL of the available forums on the planet yet..  ;-)

--

-- Doug Larson

#7 2005-07-29 18:06:48

paranoos

well, getting back on topic  :!:

this forum is the only one i read. if i'm in a bind and search google for some info, the other forums i have come across seem very lacking. a lot of the time, the problems aren't corrected, which is quite annoying! experts exchange (which i have always called expert sex change) is especially bad because every time i've read it, the people trying to help are fighting with each other. i think it's because the person asking the question decides which answer was most helpful,and that person gets points on the site.

i open up slashdot.org every day. i don't post, usually because if there's something interesting or funny to say, it's already been said. osnews is a nice site, especially when they review arch, or interview judd big_smile

i also have a subscription to wired magazine (it's really expensive in canada! but i got a good deal from a distributor), it's fun to read. they're always touting linux and open source, and it's funny when they say something dumb (which isn't too often, thankfully). their other tech stuff is really interesting to read. especially all the research and upcoming technology. good interviews, and info segments too.

#8 2005-07-29 19:38:26

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

justlinux.org used to be good, but they're kind of to big now. Sarah31 used to post there a lot too...

Dusty

#9 2005-07-29 20:34:47

Kern

What are some of the best informational forums on Linux, that YOU use?

im kinda partisan. i habitate Archlinux forum as its small enough to browse,  specific to my needs and, i feel, still small enough to be personal.

Most contributing users have some particular speciality or other and have been on the Linux scene for quite a while, bringing a wealth of experience to a relatively smallish Distro presence.

if theres any other linux info i need not covered here, i usually google for it.

generic Linux forums seem to be too general and vast for useful "read up " attention. the only other one i use is a local LUG  which is small fry compared to Arch.

Other stuff is just personal prefs like browsing Forensic or data recovery specific forums.

#10 2005-07-30 00:10:52

ozar

I hang out at several distro-specific forums and a couple generic linux forums, but most of my forum surfing is done right here.

oz

#11 2005-07-31 10:36:27

Michel

Heya,

well I mostly browse these forums. However, the previous distribution I used was Mandrake. I'm registered (like others here maybe) at http://mandrivausers.org . It's a nice site/forum where you can get friendly responses. They also have an "other-distributions"-subforum. They also have an extensive howtop/...-subforum I believe.

Well, I sometimes post at other places (like OsNews).

greetings,

Michel

#12 2005-07-31 11:14:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Michel wrote:

Heya,

well I mostly browse these forums. However, the previous distribution I used was Mandrake. I'm registered (like others here maybe) at http://mandrivausers.org . It's a nice site/forum where you can get friendly responses. They also have an "other-distributions"-subforum. They also have an extensive howtop/...-subforum I believe.

Well, I sometimes post at other places (like OsNews).

greetings,

Michel

no no no, http://www.mandrakeusers.org get it right tongue

I dont like the name change smile

I still visit there too, but not as much, it's not like it used to be, it grew big, it had moderation debates, overmoderation...... the rest is history, those people who i knew well and who are regulars, are now infrequent.

iphitus

Board footer