You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-21 16:39:12

WonderWoofy

Custom sequence to kill X server

Hello all, I am new to Arch, and actually linux in general, but so far I have to say that it is pretty amazing.  I am particularly impressed with the communities of most distros, but particularly Arch. 

So I have been searching for an answer to this on and off for a couple days now.  I have reenabled ctrl+alt+bksp to kill the x server, but seeing that I am something of a Windows convert (for the first time in my life, I have completely removed Windows from my personal computers) I would prefer if it is actually ctrl+alt+delete.  I added the option to 10-evdev.conf, but when I look at the base.lst in xkb rules it appears that the only option for this command is the backspace.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 2012-05-21 20:52:29

unilx

Re: Custom sequence to kill X server

You can try autokey-qt for kde or autokey-gtk for gnome, in the AUR.

http://maketecheasier.com/autokey-make- … 2010/09/28

#3 2012-05-21 21:28:31

WonderWoofy

Re: Custom sequence to kill X server

Thanks for responding so incredibly fast!  Autokey does look interesting, and I will give it a whirl.  It certainly looks like something that may come in handy.  Although I am using openbox, so I assume I could also simply make a keyboard shortcut in rc.xml to do it. 

The reason I was asking about doing it via xorg.conf.d was that it seemed to me to be fucntioning on a lower level (maybe higher... not sure which direction would be correct) of the system.  Ergo, if my computer is really getting funky, it seems as though using ctrl+alt+bksp in that way would be more likely to be successful than if it is driven by an application.  Although I could be totally wrong... which I guess is why I am asking.

So is it possible to map something else to the evdev "terminate" function rather than "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" ?

Board footer