You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-26 17:49:39

fema

[SOLVED] XFCE Power Manager stopping when sleeping

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything helpful. (In case it was, I'd appreciate a link to the topic or whatever.)

My problem is that whenever I put my netbook to sleep (closing the lid), for some reason xfce power manager stops and when I wake it up, I have to manually start it - it gives the message "Xfce4 Power Manager is not running, do you want to launch it now?" and, after clicking Run, it starts.
It is really painful, because when I forget to do it and start using the netbook without it, it just stops when the battery is flat - and I lose things.
What can be the cause of this? The problem is present for about a month and I can't remember doing any specific thing (e.g. installing something), before that it worked fine.

I'm using LXDM, if that matters somehow and I'm starting it from inittab.

Last edited by fema (2012-05-26 22:15:50)

#2 2012-05-26 22:11:24

Padfoot

Re: [SOLVED] XFCE Power Manager stopping when sleeping

Uncertain if the following is the cause, but worth looking into:

I am guessing it is your session management. In Xfce, the session manager monitors things like window manager, power manager etc. and automatically re-spawns the process should it stop during your session.

I suggest looking for session management options in Lxde for something similar.

Failing that, are you using pm for your sleep/suspend/hibernate functions? If so, you can add a script to /etc/pm/sleep.d to restart the power manager on wake.

Cheers.

#3 2012-05-26 22:15:33

fema

Re: [SOLVED] XFCE Power Manager stopping when sleeping

Padfoot wrote:

Uncertain if the following is the cause, but worth looking into:

I am guessing it is your session management. In Xfce, the session manager monitors things like window manager, power manager etc. and automatically re-spawns the process should it stop during your session.

I suggest looking for session management options in Lxde for something similar.

Failing that, are you using pm for your sleep/suspend/hibernate functions? If so, you can add a script to /etc/pm/sleep.d to restart the power manager on wake.

Cheers.

Yay, thank you!

Although I'm using XFCE, not LXDE (only LXDM), I looked into session management and found the culprit, some apps were set to restart immediately and some not, and Power Management was the latter. Changed it and now it works as intended.

Board footer