You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-26 18:37:11

superhet

Dualboot Archlinux and Windows 7 problem

Hello,
i have 2 HDDs, each 150GB. First, i have installed Windows 7 on the HDD1 (/dev/sda). Then i have installed Archlinux on the HDD2 (/dev/sdb) (root partition that takes the entire HDD) with Grub in the MBR of the HDD1. Now i can't boot Windows 7, but Archlinux starts perfectly. Could anyone help to localize my problem, please? Thanks in advance!

#2 2012-05-26 18:49:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Dualboot Archlinux and Windows 7 problem

Can you post your grub/menu.lst in code tags like

this

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-05-26 19:59:54

superhet

Thank you for the answer,
my menu.lst:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd1,0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sdb1 ro                                                                                                                                                                                                 
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img                                                                                                                                                                                                             

# (1) Arch Linux                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
title  Arch Linux Fallback                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
root   (hd1,0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img                                                                                                                                                                                                   

# (2) Windows                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
title Windows                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
rootnoverify (hd0,0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
makeactive                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
chainloader +1

Last edited by superhet (2012-05-26 20:01:07)

#4 2012-05-26 20:15:29

headkase

superhet wrote:

Thank you for the answer,
my menu.lst:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd1,0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img                                                                                                                                                                                                             

# (1) Arch Linux                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
title  Arch Linux Fallback                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
root   (hd1,0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img                                                                                                                                                                                                   

# (2) Windows                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
title Windows                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
rootnoverify (hd0,0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
makeactive                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
chainloader +1

See: Arch + Windows for special instructions for Windows 7.  Basically, you need to comment out "makeactive."  So, your Windows 7 section would look like this:

# (2) Windows                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
title Windows                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
rootnoverify (hd0,0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
#makeactive                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
chainloader +1

This may not solve your original issue but it is another issue that should be fixed.

#5 2012-05-26 20:52:06

superhet

Ok, now it looks like

# (2) Windows
title Windows
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
#makeactive
chainloader +1

and doesn't work as well :'(
When i try rootnoverify (hd1,1) or (hd1,0) or (hd0,1) it doesn't work too...

#6 2012-05-26 21:19:50

KingX

You don't need the "map" options as Windows is on the first drive.

wiki wrote:

If Windows is not on the first hard drive, the Windows boot loader must be "tricked" into thinking Windows is on the first hard drive.

So remove both the map lines and try again.

#7 2012-05-27 00:11:43

superhet

Without the "map" and "makeactive" lines it doesn't work as well sad

Last edited by superhet (2012-05-27 00:12:27)

#8 2012-05-27 00:33:13

headkase

"makeactive" is a separate issue.  If you had that option enabled, and booted Windows 7 only then Windows 7 might overwrite your GRUB bootloader with its own and you'd have to reinstall GRUB.  I don't have a link for that as a reference but when I was setting up my own dual-boot I read that.

So, "makeactive" down, which other drive to boot for Windows 7 still going.  Sorry I don't have any suggestions for the remaining issue.

#9 2012-05-27 00:37:36

headkase

It might help if you paste the output of:

sudo fdisk -l

* That's a lower case L in case you are using a sans font.  Not an upper case i.

#10 2012-05-27 07:02:24

DSpider

Yeah, you say you installed GRUB on /dev/sda. But I think you installed just the MBR there and the actual files (/boot/grub) are on /dev/sdb.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … B.27s_root

If you are unaware of the the location of /boot, use the GRUB shell find command to locate the GRUB files. Enter the GRUB shell as root by:

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#11 2012-05-27 09:50:31

shulamy

i think you need to map

but only one of them.

tow map's is like multiply - by -.

ezik

#12 2012-05-27 09:57:47

DSpider

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … th_Windows

If Windows is located on another hard disk, the map command must be used. This will make your Windows install think it is actually on the first drive.

He said he has Windows on /dev/sda (first HDD), so I don't think there's any need for the map command. But we'll have to see fdisk -l for more information... We're not psychics.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#13 2012-05-27 11:54:27

superhet

Ok, here is the output of "sudo fdisk -l" (Sorry, it's in german, but i hope the meaning is clear without translation):

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spur, 19457 Zylinder, zusammen 312581808 Sektoren
Einheiten = sectors von 1 × 512 = 512 Bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0001ed02

Gerät  boot.     Anfang        Ende     Blöcke   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2          206848   312578047   156185600    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spur, 19457 Zylinder, zusammen 312581808 Sektoren
Einheiten = sectors von 1 × 512 = 512 Bytes