You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-28 22:58:58

Duodecillian

[SOLVED]Problem with booting the installation CD (+USB) (Not booting)

I've burned the ISO file onto a CD, but it just doesn't seem to be taking when I attempt to boot off of it. The CD is read when I'm on Windows 7, I can see it's contents, So I suppose that means that the physical CD itself is in working condition.

My BIOS is set correctly, as I have an XP installation disc that I was able to boot.

I was told that this may mean I should be looking for a different ISO file, though I'm unsure of which one I would use.

After dealing with this I attempted to use my USB to boot off of that instead, following this tutorial ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xlSjTyCaQ ) Rather than what was on the Beginners' Installation Guide, because I'm currently not running any linux based systems except for in a virtual machine.

When I attempt to boot from the CD it just seems to ignore it. When I attempt to boot off of a USB it just pauses and says "Verifying DMI pool data"

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I'm more than happy to cooperate in order to solve the problem.

Last edited by Duodecillian (2012-05-29 21:02:46)

#2 2012-05-28 23:03:50

lagagnon
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Problem with booting the installation CD (+USB) (Not booting)

Are you burning the ISO as an image rather than as a data disk??

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2012-05-28 23:28:26

Duodecillian

Pretty sure that's the problem, I'd delete this thread but I don't know how.

#4 2012-05-29 02:10:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Edit your first post then change the title to include [SOLVED]

I checked that video you linked - that is definitely the problem.  I hardly touch Win anymore, but I know Unetbootin is a free program that will run on Win and make proper bootable media.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-05-29 09:24:28

DSpider

For what is worth, there are several methods that will work on Windows.

My personal favourite is: Boot the entire ISO from RAM

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer