You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-30 04:59:07

ignotus

[SOLVED] Conflicting Packages in ALIF

Is there anyway to resolve conflicting packages during an Arch Setup?

I just spent about an hour (possibly more) selecting all the packages for a net-install. This after I spent a half hour then accidently clicked OK and had to restart. I'd really like to not have to go through the huge list again. I checked /tmp but the choices don't appear to be in there.

Does anyone have a solution? I just need to remove one package.

Thanks

Last edited by ignotus (2012-05-30 19:14:05)

#2 2012-05-30 15:45:54

shulamy

Re: [SOLVED] Conflicting Packages in ALIF

don't you have a list where you can check or uncheck pacages?

ezik

#3 2012-05-30 17:00:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm not sure why you're going through any huge lists.  I'd recommend doing your net-install with the recommended (default) packages only (plus only those that would be needed to boot and get internet access if your hardware has any 'special needs').  Then when your system is up and running you can use pacman to add anything else.

Edit: perhaps I'm not understanding.  If you just need to prevent pacman from trying to install upgrade one package, just remove that package `pacman -R <packagename>' then run 'pacman -Syu'.  Depending where in the installation process you were, pacman may not have to redownload anything, the packages are staged in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-30 17:03:10)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-05-30 17:07:08

ignotus

That's the problem. It's a large list and if you need to go back and change something, you have to start from scratch.

What I ended up doing was, I found the pacman log for AIF in /var/log/aif/pacman.log that showed a list of all the packages I'd selected so when I went to do it again, at least the decision making part of it was finished. Still a pain.

#5 2012-05-30 17:38:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I really think you're making it harder than it should be.  Is there a reason to select anything other than the defaults?  On several installations I've ran, I've never bothered with that list at all.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2012-05-30 19:11:04

ignotus

You're right and that's what I ended up doing because a conflict happened again and I got really frustrated.

The reason why I was bothering with the list is because I thougt it'd be nice to have all (or most) of the packages installed right off the bat. What's the point in having the list if it's unusable? It's not a problem, and to me preferable, to use the list initially because there are some packages I want and some I don't (I want some xorg drivers but I don't need all) and it's not so bad to do it once but there should be a way of dealing with problems. I also think it'd be nice if the package were read from a file because then you could keep and reuse that file to quickly get systems up and running with the packages you'd like.

Thanks

Board footer