You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-31 08:40:21

lswest
Website

[SOLVED] GRUB2 missing files/symbols

I've looked all over the place so far, and followed the instructions that seemed to fix it for most people (grub-install --directory=/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --debug /dev/sda, and then running mkinitcpio -p linux and grub-mkconfig).

However, I still get the error that GRUB can't find the file /boot/grub/normal.mod (which is obvious, since it's now in /boot/grub/i386-pc/).  However, I have also tried shifting the contents of i386-pc into /boot/grub to see if I could at least boot into my system, but it then spits out "error: symbol not found: 'grub_disk_dev_list'").  It seems to me that the issue lies with grub looking in the wrong spot for the mod files, although I have no idea what the missing symbol error is about (I haven't been able to find any information on this particular error).

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

This was caused by my hard disk order.  Linux recognizes my main drive as /dev/sda, but apparently for grub (and grub-install) it needs to be /dev/sdb.  The errors were caused by it being an old version of grub on the MBR.

Last edited by lswest (2012-05-31 09:25:17)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#2 2012-05-31 09:43:04

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: [SOLVED] GRUB2 missing files/symbols

Something has gone wrong in grub-install command. grub-install populates both /boot/grub/i386-pc/ directory and updates the boot code in core.img and in MBR.

#3 2012-05-31 09:44:04

lswest
Website

Re: [SOLVED] GRUB2 missing files/symbols

Hey, thanks for the reply.  It seems grub-install worked just fine - I just installed it to the wrong disk because of the weird flip-flop of device names.  Got it all working now.

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

Board footer