You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-31 23:18:10

linuxloverjerry1

[SOLVED]Unable to boot to install Arch

I have tried and tried to install the i686 net install iso from cd and usb. I get to boot and get messages like:

Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201108 ...
Error: Boot device didn't show up after 30 seconds...
Falling back to interactive prompt.
You can try and fix the problem manually....
ramfs$

I've found several posts suggesting solutions:
like:

cd /dev
ln -s sr0 archiso
exit
or
udevadm trigger, or
arcisodevice=/dev/sr0

but no luck

to check my work I tried installing an archbang.iso and an x86 iso, with the same results.

I have succesfully installed the i686 arch net install 3 times on virtual box.

I have one partition remaining on my SATA HD that I am installing to.

It looks like this is a problem because there are several posts with the same problem.

Now that I am confident enough to install Arch as a full install on my HD, I am running into problems.

To check my work I tried installing an archbang.iso and an x86 iso, with the same results.

Is there a fix for this?

Thank you.

Last edited by linuxloverjerry1 (2012-06-06 00:04:04)

#2 2012-06-01 07:59:08

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED]Unable to boot to install Arch

Welcome to the forums.

That error is more common with USB sticks. It pops up when it can't find a drive labeled "ARCH_201108". If the same thing happens with a CD/DVD, then you probably wrote it as a Data Disc instead of a Project (where it lets you choose the .iso file). That's not good because ISOLINUX, the bootloader used on the Arch ISO does not support Rock Ridge or Joliet filenames. For the USB stick you can either try to label it "ARCH_201108" and hope for the best, or try a different method.

My personal favourite is Boot the entire ISO from RAM.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-06-01 11:27:46)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-06-01 13:29:43

linuxloverjerry1

DSpider wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

.... If the same thing happens with a CD/DVD, then you probably wrote it as a Data Disc instead of a Project (where it lets you choose the .iso file). That's not good because ISOLINUX, the bootloader used on the Arch ISO does not support Rock Ridge or Joliet filenames. For the USB stick you can either try to label it "ARCH_201108" and hope for the best, or try a different method.

My personal favourite is Boot the entire ISO from RAM.

Thanks for the response DSpider. To make sure, I made another CD and it definitely was an iso install.

And I got the same results.  I also tried installing iso to usb using the dd if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sd[x] ,but
that didn't work.

I did test the CD install on an older Dell computer and it allowed me to get to the command line where I could enter /arch/setup and go through the install process.

This is a newer Dell.  The difference is on the newer one I get to a graphical menu where I can boot arch, boot an existing, do a memtest, etc.  When I choose boot arch, I get the errors described in my original post.  I can't get to the point where I do the /arch/setup.

The video drivers on both computers seem to be intel i915. Both HD's are SATA. The cpu on this newer computer is an i5. 
I am wondering now if the problem is in the video driver.

The boot on the arch cd shows
.linux /arch/boot/i686/vmlinuz archbasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201108 initrd=/arch/boot/i686/archiso.img

I will try install by ram if I must, but I am wondering if I can make changes to the above grub to get it to boot?
I have made several attempts to do that but still no luck. One of the mods was to tack vga=77? on the end.

Last edited by linuxloverjerry1 (2012-06-01 13:40:27)

#4 2012-06-01 13:46:02

DSpider

Is there any particular reason why you want Arch i686 on a computer with an Intel Core i5?

Try the netinstall x86_64 ISO.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-06-01 14:03:14

linuxloverjerry1

I used the 686 to install in virtual box.

I just tried again installing using the x86 iso both on CD, and USB using the dd routine. No luck. On the CD install I get the same messages and end up at the ramfs$ prompt.  With the usb I get an immediate short response....no boot found.

#6 2012-06-01 14:16:24

DSpider

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … _USB_drive

Make sure to use /dev/sdx and NOT /dev/sdx1. This is a very common error!

Also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch64_FAQ (specifically "Why 64-bit?")

#7 2012-06-01 14:26:03

linuxloverjerry1

DSpider wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … _USB_drive

Make sure to use /dev/sdx and NOT /dev/sdx1. This is a very common error!

Also: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch64_FAQ (specifically "Why 64-bit?")

Yes!!! for usb I had used /dev/sdb1. changed to /dev/sdb, and it boots up!  Thank you!  smile

#8 2012-06-01 14:39:02

DSpider

That's great. wink Don't forget to mark it as solved (by editing the first post).

#9 2012-06-01 14:47:08

linuxloverjerry1

Thanks again!
Still having problems installing by CD. I used wodim this time and get the same messages as in post 1.
Will mark as solved.
smile

#10 2012-06-01 15:05:38

DSpider

Um, "wodim"? Apparently it's part of the cdrkit package... Hmph. I didn't even know that a CLI burner even existed... But I also haven't burned a disc since 2007 or so, ever since I got 500 GB external HDD. So I'm not really in a position to give advice.

You should probably use something more respectable like Brasero, K3b (which apparently both use cdrkit) or Xfburn.

#11 2012-06-01 18:13:20

linuxloverjerry1

I created many of the disks with brasero (on Ubuntu). I found out about wodim on Ub* forums.  was installed already.

It did the same thing as brasero as far as I can tell.

My arch install is rolling along. Helped a lot being able to install it 3 times on vbox before going for a real HD install. Have an LX desktop now.

Thank you for your help.

#12 2015-09-05 09:22:51

schout-it

Maybe an old thread, but still first in the google search.

quick way:
mv /dev/disk/by-label/YOURLABEL /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201108
exit

#13 2015-09-05 13:39:29

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please don't necrobump.

And please find a more up-to-date installation media..

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer