You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-02 00:10:40

PaulBx1

[SOLVED] Systemd breaks truecrypt

Today I got my system up to date, then decided to try systemd by putting init=/bin/systemd in my grub kernel line (not in the fallback line though). Now everything looks cool booting, but when I get into lxde and run truecrypt to mount my volume, I get a fail message from truecrypt after entering my password, "Failed to set up a loop device: <my container>"

I can find the container in the correct place.

If I reboot the fallback, which doesn't use systemd, I can mount this volume no problem. Going back to systemd, I can't.

I have checked that loop is there with lsmod. I find no thread here with this problem, nor with a general google.

I haven't done anything else to further implement systemd other than installing systemd-arch-units.

The only thing that looked a bit strange in the systemd journal is "systemd-tmpfiles[289]: Two or more conflicting lines for /tmp configured, ignoring."

Last edited by PaulBx1 (2012-06-02 01:51:48)

#2 2012-06-02 01:38:16

PaulBx1

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd breaks truecrypt

OK, this is weird. I tried the lsmod again and found loop is NOT listed. I did a modprobe of loop and was then able to mount the volume. I guess I was deceiving myself the first time.

Perhaps this has nothing to do with systemd, but with the fact I upgraded my system. I'm guessing loop is no longer loaded by default. I know it has been deprecated for a long time.

#3 2012-06-02 18:12:02

PaulBx1

Re: [SOLVED] Systemd breaks truecrypt

Wrong again, it was not the upgrade. It was the fact rc.conf is not being run in systemd native mode.

FYI, to fix this I followed the procedure here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … uring_boot

That is I created the file /etc/modules-load.d/truecrypt.conf:

# truecrypt needs to have loop loaded
loop

This had previously been loaded in /etc/rc.conf when using the sysv boot (the "MODULES" array). BTW it might be a good idea to modify the systemd wiki page saying that anything that happened in rc.conf now has to be handled in a different way, since (I guess) rc.conf is no longer being run. Er, I guess it does say that at one point, but it didn't really jump out at me. Also, the very last sentence of the truecrypt wiki page needs additional information concerning systemd. I suppose I need to figure out how to modify wiki pages...

Board footer