You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-04 09:42:44

edke

[SOLVED] Unable to boot after last upgrade [HP Smart Array]

Hello guys.

After last upgrade I'm unable to boot. I have fileserver with 2 discs in HP Smart Array RAID 1.

While booting, kernel is unable to find my raid (should be cciss) and therefore lvm2 hook fails to find root partition. While going into recovery, I can chroot without an issue, lsmod shows that cciss driver is properly loaded, disk exits in /dev/cciss/, logical group and volumes are detected properly.

No matter what I do, I just can't get cciss module into kernel. Putting in MODULES in mkinitcpio.conf's MODULES="" didn't help. I'm listing my initramfs images and there is no cciss.ko. I'm also searching for module in my filesystem and can not find it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by edke (2012-06-04 10:39:20)

#2 2012-06-04 10:04:41

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to boot after last upgrade [HP Smart Array]

First of all, have you tried the Fallback entry? Because initramfs-linux-fallback.img is supposed to have a full range of modules.

Second, after editing /etc/mkinitcpio.conf you need to regenerate your initramfs.

# mkinitcpio -p linux

But the MODULES section needs to have something in there...

Here's mine:

MODULES="pata_amd sata_nv ehci-hcd ohci-hcd ext2 ext3 ext4 vfat snd-hda-intel"

You probably need "mdadm" or "mdadm_udev" in there too, I'm not sure... I don't use RAID, but maybe these will help:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mk … Using_RAID
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So … ID_and_LVM

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-06-04 10:19:32

edke

Thank you for your quick reply.

DSpider wrote:

First of all, have you tried the Fallback entry? Because initramfs-linux-fallback.img is supposed to have a full range of modules.

Of course, no change.

DSpider wrote:

Second, after editing /etc/mkinitcpio.conf you need to regenerate your initramfs.

# mkinitcpio -p linux

But the MODULES section needs to have something in there...

Here's mine:

MODULES="pata_amd sata_nv ehci-hcd ohci-hcd ext2 ext3 ext4 vfat snd-hda-intel"

You probably need "mdadm" or "mdadm_udev" in there too, I'm not sure... I don't use RAID, but maybe these will help:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mk … Using_RAID
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/So … ID_and_LVM

HP Smart Array is hardware RAID, therefore I don't need mdadm. Right module should be cciss, but this is somehow not working. Adding this into MODULES does not add cciss module to image.

When I'm booting from Arch install for recovery and chroot, cciss is loaded and my HP Smart Array disk is visible.

#4 2012-06-04 10:39:08

edke

Well, I solved an issue myself ... and dumb I am !

I put cciss into commented line # MODULES  smile When cciss inserted into right MODULES, image was built properly and all works as it should.

One thing still remains .. what changed after my last upgrade, why suddenly was cciss module not loaded while building image ? It looks like it has to be something with recent udev replacement ...

#5 2012-10-05 16:43:19

clement.nuss

Thank you for this advice ! After a fresh installation, my system wasn't booting up : adding cciss into the MODULE (MODULES="cciss") in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf was the solution.

Strange issue.

#6 2012-10-05 17:34:22

falconindy
Developer
Website

Hrmmm, this really shouldn't be needed. does 'cciss' appear in the output of 'mkinitcpio -M'?

#7 2012-10-14 06:15:41

dragon840

I love you!

#8 2012-10-14 06:16:31

dragon840

I;ve been bashing my head against the wall for days trying to get this damn CCISS working....this was the EXACT problem.....please contact me and let me know how I can buy you a beer sir.!!!!!!!!!!

#9 2012-10-14 09:43:43

falconindy
Developer
Website

.... this isn't a solution.

myself wrote:

this really shouldn't be needed. does 'cciss' appear in the output of 'mkinitcpio -M'?

#10 2012-10-16 23:20:54

dragon840

falconindy wrote:

.... this isn't a solution.

falconindy wrote:

this really shouldn't be needed. does 'cciss' appear in the output of 'mkinitcpio -M'?

..why is this not a 'solution' ???  ..on mine, mkinitcpio -M  does NOT return cciss. is cciss a module that should be autodetected and autoloaded? Sorry, I'm mostly new to arch.

I have a 6 disk array in my hp dl380 g4.  To initialize the array before the kernal would load, adding 'CCISS' to the MODULES="" (MODULES="CCISS") and issuing the mkinitcpio -p linux command solved the problem. Also, I had to add (hd0,1) to my grub file, originally grub was the only bootloader i could get the box to load to.  Although after finding out about adding CCISS to the modules, I might soon try to reload the system to syslinux and try this all again, as I don't really like grub....

Again, I appreciate any and all of everyones' help.

Last edited by dragon840 (2012-10-16 23:35:27)

#11 2012-10-17 07:05:33

falconindy
Developer
Website

Right, my expectation was that cciss would be found in the course of scanning the PCI bus for hardware (which is what mkinitcpio -M does). Since that isn't the case, there isn't much that mkinitcpio can do here -- adding the module explicitly the best you can muster. Thanks for replying.

Board footer