You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-03 10:06:10

aardwolf

Idea: peer to peer and LANs

I don't know if it's been posted before, but I had this idea:

it could in some occasions be handy if it was, optionally, possible to let Archlinux users who want to, share all their packages in a peer to peer network. This would make the bandwidth of the main download servers lighter. Then pacman would look both at the pacman peer to peer network, and the download servers, to download new packages and upgrades.

The option if you want to share packages should be off by default though because not everyone has the ability to share properly (including myself who has fast download but slow and limited upload). If on, a pacman peer to peer client would have to be running all the time to allow other users to download of this computer.

For security, a redundancy check with an official server of the package you downloaded should be performed, so that people can't mess with the packages they share.

A second thing, probably much simpler, is to allow users who are in the same LAN to share packages. I have a family member who uses Archlinux on his computer as well and we're in a LAN, so instead of both downloading all the packages, one downloads them, the other gets them off the other user through FTP . However, instead of the hassle of downloading it through FTP, it would be handy if the one user could start up a pacman LAN server, and the other could download packages of the pacman LAN server in his network with a single command.

#2 2005-08-03 14:49:40

cmp

Re: Idea: peer to peer and LANs

for the p2p idea: this should not be implemented in pacman, but maybe in a proxy.
so you would set:
[current]:
http://localhost:1234/current

which would then attempt to download a package from the localy running webserver, which then tries to retrive the package from the p2p network. you could even just use bittorrent for the p2p network. then there would have to be a place, where all the torrentfiles would be hosted and the tracker would be running.

#3 2005-08-03 16:00:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Idea: peer to peer and LANs

or you can write a real simple script to parse out the "packagename-version-release.pkg.tar.gz" part of a url and then call some bittorrent thing to find and download the file...
That way it can be added in pacman.conf as the XferCommand....

Board footer