You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-10 13:44:29

iOfWhy

xsession errors

Since i installed arch i havent been able to find output from xsessions. i have no .xsession-errors file in my home, so where do i find it?

for a little while i used to launch x by typing startx which gave me all the output in the console. i could Ctrl+Alt+F1 to that virtual console and see all problems, but now i cant find anyway to do this. which i assume there must be.

thanks

#2 2012-06-10 14:00:21

DarkCerberus
Banned

Re: xsession errors

Try reading the arch linux wiki - according to our wiki .xsessions are located in /usr/share/xsessions which is usually generated by window managers and probably logon display managers as well.

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----
How to ask questions the smart way

#3 2012-06-10 14:20:44

iOfWhy

DarkCerberus wrote:

Try reading the arch linux wiki - according to our wiki .xsessions are located in /usr/share/xsessions which is usually generated by window managers and probably logon display managers as well.

Thanks for you reply, looked through the wiki article for Xorg but found no reference to output, errors or xsession. Looked in /usr/share/xsession but only found a configuration file called Xfce Session...

#4 2012-06-10 14:25:32

guelfi

DarkCerberus wrote:

Not to be rude, but did you actually read his question?

The display manager usually redirects the standard error to ~/.xsession-errors, so if you want this behaviour when launching X from the console, start X with

$ startx 2> ~/.xsession-errors

Last edited by guelfi (2012-06-10 14:25:44)

#5 2012-06-10 14:37:35

iOfWhy

guelfi wrote:

The display manager usually redirects the standard error to ~/.xsession-errors, so if you want this behaviour when launching X from the console, start X with

$ startx 2> ~/.xsession-errors

Thanks for your reply. should probably have said something about my setup. I am using SLiM login manager with xfce. I start slim from daemons list in rc.conf. My .xinitrc only has one line:

exec startxfce4

I recall previously having tried to add similar lines in .xinitrc. Ie, at one point i think i had exec startxfce4 >> ~/.xsession-errors but to no avail...

So if i do use display manager to launch X, how do i output errors?

#6 2012-06-11 01:23:37

cfr

This isn't an answer but by way of reference, I use KDM and the system simply spews errors to ~/.xsession-errors. So either there's something special about configuring SLiM or there's a problem somewhere. The wiki page for SliM doesn't mention anything about the errors.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#7 2012-06-11 01:34:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

cfr wrote:

The wiki page for SliM doesn't mention anything about the errors.

Once a user has made the error of installing Slim, everything else is incidental tongue

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2012-07-29 12:54:28

iOfWhy

i still havent been able to output errors from my installation...

jasonwryan wrote:

Once a user has made the error of installing Slim, everything else is incidental tongue

i really like slim for all other reasons, and looking at this thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=107890 it seems people at least used to have the problem of TOO MUCH output from their xsession with slim. however, when i look at my /var/log/slim.log all i have is

slim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections.

slim: waiting for X server to shut down

slim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections.slim: unexpected signal 15

slim: waiting for X server to begin accepting connections.slim: unexpected signal 15

looking at the thread they refer to a "solution" available at https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/slim … 00092.html, but i cannot find any "solution" there... further down CPUnitd says one is supposed to add  "./example.pl > /dev/null 2>&1" do .xinitrc to not get that result, could i do the same in some way in order to get the ouput somewhere?

#9 2012-07-29 13:27:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Look in (or post) your slim conf.  The output redirection is usually in there on the line that runs .xinitrc

edit: look for the login_cmd line.  And I do agree about the facetious but truth-conveying statement about the error of installing slim.  It can work quite well for a while, but every update it can completely change and lead to a mess of issues.  I got rid of it when I realized it served no function except to slow down boot time.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-07-29 13:31:28)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer