You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-14 14:18:47

bdalenoord

xfce4-session querying suspend failed

Hey!

Awesome, my first post at Arch's boards... I hope somebody can help me with an irritating problem I have with Arch...

My setup
Arch Linux
Kernel 3.3.8-1-ARCH
WM: XFWM
DE: XFCE

When I want to open the log-out dialog (which holds the shutdown-button as well) it takes about half a minute to open up. During this time, the laptop switches to an unusable/locked state and I just have to wait.

When checking out the output on TTY1 (from which XFCE got started) it gives me the following error:

xfce-session: Querying suspend failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Google comes up with not too much usefull, so I hope that anyone here can give me a clue on how to fix this error... Thanks in advance!

Secondly, whilst shutting down, both of the following lines:

:: Sending SIGTERM To All Processess
:: Sending SIGKILL To All Processes

Are followed by a FAIL. It seems like a peaceful shutdown is not really possible for my setup at this moment... Anyone?

Regards,
Bas
Netherlands

Last edited by bdalenoord (2012-06-14 14:22:34)

#2 2012-06-14 14:33:18

kgas

Re: xfce4-session querying suspend failed

What login manager are you using? or how do you start your xfce session?

#3 2012-06-14 14:35:00

bdalenoord

Thanks for your reply...

I am not using a login manager... I boot to runlevel 3, and have the following lines in my '.bashrc' which start XFCE only from tty1 automatically:

if [ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" -o "$(tty)" = "/dev/vc/1" ] ; then
  startxfce4 --with-ck-launch
fi

Regards,
Bas
Netherlands

#4 2012-06-14 14:38:01

kgas

ck launch is not required instead use dbus launch and report back :-)

#5 2012-06-14 14:47:02

bdalenoord

Thanks for your help...

WIthout ck-launch my bash-rc looks like this:

if [ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" -o "$(tty)" = "/dev/vc/1" ] ; then
  exec dbus-launch startxfce4
fi

The problem now is that the Log-out window still is slow, but both the reboot and shutdown-button are disabled and unclickable... This was a problem that I had before, but it was fixed with ck-launch...

There seems to be some kind of other problem related to power as well... Through the power manager I switched all actions for the buttons to 'nothing', but they still arent disabled... Something at a lower level seems to be overruling these...?!

Last edited by bdalenoord (2012-06-14 15:03:50)

#6 2012-06-14 15:07:52

65kid

dbus-launch should afaik not be neccessary, "startxfce4 --with-ck-launch" was actually correct. Do you have dbus in your DAEMONS array?

Last edited by 65kid (2012-06-14 15:11:28)

#7 2012-06-14 15:09:38

bdalenoord

DBUS is in my DAEMONS-array... so that should not be the problem... I changed it back to the original, so we're back at starting-point... big_smile

I appreciate your help thouh... Thanks!

#8 2012-06-14 15:11:33

65kid

try to use startx instead of startxfce4 and specify "exec startxfce4" in your .xinitrc instead, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Boot

#9 2012-06-14 15:19:12

bdalenoord

Well... it works in that the GUI is still loaded at boot... but the logout window still gives the same error...

There is another thingy... sometimes, some icons on the panel aren't loaded properly. This seems to be related on how I shut down my laptop. When I use the command line, the notebook shuts down but doesn't turn off... so I have to press the hardware-button manually. This happened in any Linux-distro that I tried, so it should not be a problem.

Edit:

The main problem in this thread is fixed now... Below is how...

I found out that something was stressing my processor... In htop, 'upowerd' used 100% CPU. After some research I found out that this was caused by me disabling the nVidia-card through ACPI_CALL method in 'rc.local'. Nouveau (nVidia open-source driver) was unhappy about me disabling the card.

I added the following line to my '/etc/rc.local' file, which solved the problem:

rmmod nouveau

This also solved the problem with the logout window, and the failing SIGTERM/SIGKILL

My only real problem is the fact that sometimes, items on the panels will not be displayed as I pointed out before... Anyone? big_smile

Thanks so far!

EDIT 2:
The icon problem seems to be only occuring when the laptop remains turned on after shutdown (the hardware-leds are still turned on) and I have to just press the power-button shortly to kill the notebook. There is however a very tiny thing buggin me. When I hide the frame on the notification area (right click > properties > disable 'show frame') the icons disappear as well... this little line around the icons isn't what I want for the good sake of mint looks.... Anybody out there who knows how to get around this bugger?

Last edited by bdalenoord (2012-06-14 20:34:34)

Board footer