You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-05 12:38:29

TheDoctor
Website

Better way to request packages

I'd like to propose a better way for package requests.  I've been looking for a project to work on since I finished my set-top box, but pouring through the AUR request board is tedious at best.  Perhaps we could get a bounty list on the AUR homepage, and people could vote on the ones that they would want added to the AUR.  That way we can direct our efforts to where it would be best used.

Just a thought.

#2 2005-08-05 13:25:06

medicated

Re: Better way to request packages

Well..I think that the collaboration between AUR and the message board work just fine.  The idea of a bounty idea is kinda pointless.  With the forums ability to track new messages, its easy to determine new AUR package requests.  Also..the whole voting on bounty packages would just make things that much more complicated.  I look at it this way..if a package seems worth while..someone will make it and submit it to AUR, other wise..making PKGBUILDs really isn't that hard. 

On the lighter side of things..maybe some sort of package request thing could be nice but I don't see it as necessary.

#3 2005-08-05 14:04:41

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Doctor - yeah, a pkg requests submission system would be pretty cool, especially if it would let you mark on the system that you are working on a request - we get a lot of replication because of that.

As far as voting goes tho lol we are having enough trouble getting people to vote for pkgs to be moved in to [community] never mind into the AUR in the first place.

I think this is a good idea as long as it is a purely community driven project - it would be great to get more non-dev/TU users involved in Arch projects.  I'm pretty sure if you do a good job it it could be hosted along side the AUR

#4 2005-08-05 14:08:06

TheDoctor
Website

It just seems silly, to me at least, that someone who wants to help out has to go searching through several locations to find out if a package has been created, or needed even, when we could take a bit more of a proactive approach by  stating what packages we need and how badly we need them, without having to wade through the forums, then the AUR.

#5 2005-08-05 14:13:10

TheDoctor
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

As far as voting goes tho lol we are having enough trouble getting people to vote for pkgs to be moved in to [community] never mind into the AUR in the first place.

Yeah, apathy is the worst enemy of any community, but a simple checkbox saying, "yeah, I need this too" shouldn't be too bad.  If it doesn't get used, it doesn't get used.   

Maybe this is the project that I'm looking for...

#6 2005-08-05 16:41:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

For the most part, I'd say this is unnecessary. Most packages that are requested are built within a few hours of being requested. If you're looking for projects, the key would be to build the packages before somebody else. :-D

The idea behind Arch is to build your own packages, more than to request them, thow as Arch is growing, I can see this changing.

Perhaps a wiki page could be used to list requested packages. I can guarantee you won't be able to get all people to use it, but it could be your 'project' to keep an eye on the forum and list new requests in a wiki page. Then people would hopefully add links to AUR as they are completed.

Dusty

#7 2005-08-06 07:02:15

Father

If you want to do this, no one will stop you.. and who knows, we may like it.

But i fear it may segregate the request system between the forum and another method.

The forum is fine, duplicate requests are handled reasonably well, the ability to reply helps show users their errors and helps build knowledge and encourages people to become part of the community.
I think a wiki / other style system would be faceless..

the only thing i can really think of, is a direct link between the forum and AUR, so once the package gets upped to the AUR, that thread is somehow linked directly to that package, and that package alone.
Although i have no idea how youd do this since the bb and aur are totally different..
perhaps a wrapper that had the thread in one frame and the aur in another.. i dont know.. either way.. i think that would be handy..

The request forum isn't broken, and personally.. i dont see any _major_ reason to 'fix' it..
that being said.. no one will hunt you down for trying something new.. theres always something that can be improved.. but you have to take into account migration to new methods and technologies..
just my opinion..

Board footer