You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-20 12:28:05

freaks

installing archlinux on powerbook with broken screen

hello
i have a powerbookg g4 with a broken screen, only the first lines of the screen are completly visible.
i can boot archinux ppc
and i can execute some command lines
i can have the network
but if i want to install openssh, pacman indicates that a dependency cannot be resolved "ldns"
so how can i download via wget the packages and installing them directly ?
or is there a possiblity to switch the computer screen ton an external screen ?

thanks for your advice

#2 2012-06-20 12:53:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: installing archlinux on powerbook with broken screen

Whoa... What does the broken screen have to do with not resolving a dependency? (hint: absolutely nothing).

Do you want help installing ssh, or do you want help using an external screen?

If the former, please post the actual output of pacman (and have you done `pacman -Syu`?).  If the latter, read `man xrandr`.

Edit: I misread: I thought only the first few lines were *not* visible, which to me sound like not much of a problem.  If only the first few lines are visible I can imagine doing anything would be rather frustrating.  But just the same, you should clarify what you want to acheive first in this thread.  I'd probably try to get another screen up and running so I could see what was going on.  I suppose also, xrandr would only work in X, so it may not be relevant.

Often if you boot with a second monitor connected it will be detected automatically.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-06-20 12:56:20)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-06-20 13:24:12

freaks

Re: installing archlinux on powerbook with broken screen

i booted with an another monitor but it is not recognized tongue and now my goal is to activate this monitor

Board footer