You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-22 22:23:44

wfoojjaec

[solved] HP 630 Issues

Greetings.
Recently I've been having my few nights off with arch and this notebook ^_^

Wireless and bluetooth seems to be working ( interfaces are up at least... ), but I'm unable to power them off/on with FN+ keys. So I'm looking for any solution, like "manually switch led and disable pci device power" or installi acpi. It is really important because of power consumption. rfkill does nothing on both, and, btw it lists 4(!) interfaces instead of two. Playing each time with BIOS is not an option - it is awful in this model.

Same thing is required for synaptics. But it seems that it's config has a solution.

P.S. That registration captcha... I HAD TO MANUALLY entered it on my windows pc... I hate ya.

Last edited by wfoojjaec (2012-07-16 07:42:28)

#2 2012-06-22 22:35:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [solved] HP 630 Issues

Have you tried iwconfig?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-06-22 22:44:23

wfoojjaec

Maybe a stupid question. Does

iwconfig wlan0 power off

actually disable device power? Because led does not react.

*fix* According to man page it adjusts power management when device is operating, as i understood.

And then how I can play with led? I only found a

echo none > "/sys/class/leds/ath5k-phy0::tx/trigger"
echo none > "/sys/class/leds/ath5k-phy0::rx/trigger"

in wiki. But it is for ath5k. Mine ath9k (ar9285) does not even blink.

Last edited by wfoojjaec (2012-06-22 22:49:47)

#4 2012-06-22 22:57:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

iwconfig wlan0 power does not turn the device on or off, it only turns power management on or off.  I was just commenting on another thread how this is a horribly named option bound to confuse.  So, in fact, running `iwconfig wlan0 power off` will most likely INCREASE it's power consumption.

However, also in that man page you should see the 'up' and 'down' options ... oh wait, oops ... that would be ifconfig.  Sorry, I get the two confused far too often.  `ifconfig wlan0 down` should do what you want without any odd trickery with the LED.  You probably shouldn't try to 'trick' the LED.  An LED really doesn't use an appreciable amount of power, but if you disable the LED and you no longer know if your wireless card is up, then THAT could be a power drain.[1]

So, in other words, don't trick the LED, get it to shut off by actually shutting off the wireless card properly.

I'm also surprised rfkill didn't work.  Did you try hard or soft block?  or both?

[1]: taking the batteries out of your smoke detector doesn't make it LESS likely that your house will burn down!

Last edited by Trilby (2012-06-22 22:59:43)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-06-22 23:10:10

wfoojjaec

rfkill list has something like
hci0
hp-wifi
hp-bluetooth
phy0

And

rfkill block all

ignores soft block on hp-wifi and hp-bluetooth, hardblock on hci0. phy0 is blocked completely. But it's a one-way trip.
unblock only removes softblock from hci0. A complete mess.

Led just looks nice, if it works ;D

*fix* Well I found one more thing about this notebook. BIOS has no option to turn wireless card on or off.

Last edited by wfoojjaec (2012-06-23 11:50:51)

#6 2012-06-23 13:54:59

wfoojjaec

Mark as solved.

If one blacklists a hp_wmi module - everything magically starts to work. Even brightness control! Led doesen't, but it seems that there is a mess in pin adress somewhere in driver, cause' FN+ combo successfully disables wireless adapter and sets value in

/sys/class/leds/ath9k-phy0/brightness

to 0. It seems, that uevent is able to control that led, but I only got "unknown action-string" whn tried to guess those.

So the best way to make a hp_wmi work is to turn it off ^_^

Board footer