You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-08 13:37:36

bpisciot

Wall Street Journal article on Linux

Today's Wall Street Journal (Aug. 8, 2005) has a page one article on Linux in its Marketplace section.  The article concentrates on the prospects for Linux running enterprise servers for large companies.  As you'd expect, the article mentions Red Hat and Novell (and, sorry, no mention of Arch).  The author takes an evenhanded look at the pros and cons of open source software from a company's perspective.  Prominent, of course, are the potential savings Linux offers to companies, counterbalanced by support issues.

Those of you with an interest in this sort of thing might want to take a look.

Bob Pisciotta

"You're only young once, but you can always be immature."

#2 2005-08-09 18:04:58

mezoko
Website

Re: Wall Street Journal article on Linux

Can you scan the article? I do not get the wall street journal and I'm sure other members also don't get wall street.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#3 2005-08-09 18:50:59

bpisciot

Re: Wall Street Journal article on Linux

Ordinarily, I'd be delighted to provide a transcript or scan.  However, the Wall Street Journal is extraordinarily intense about their copyrights, and I'd be exposing this group to some risk if I posted a significant part of the article.  I can email the article to a restricted group of individuals, so those of you who do not have access to the paper at work, home or a nearby library, email me at bpisciot@kumc.edu and I'll collect the emails and send out the article.  I think I can safely do this for about 10 emails.  Hope this works for you.

Bob P.

"You're only young once, but you can always be immature."

Board footer