You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-26 06:57:27

zero2cx

Deluge 1.3.5-1 initscripts tweak here

EDIT: Fresh input from the maintainer. Apparently, this was nothing more than a learning experience for me:

FS#30441 comment by Jan Steffens (heftig) - Tuesday, 26 June 2012, 02:24 GMT-6
The rc script's purpose is not to manage every single deluged process on the system, but only one instance,
owned by the 'deluge' user. If there are other deluge daemons running, the script should not touch them.
This killing spree is definitely the wrong thing to do.

Cool. I learned a lot! Please ignore the assumptions I make below concerning the intended operation of deluge.
+ + + +
This post is to notify the forum that this patch ( https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30441 ) will fix the deluged and deluge-web rc.d initscripts included with deluge 1.3.5-1. I don't know if the fix will be integrated into the repo package, but it works nicely.

The (new!) default user and group for this app on Arch Linux is "deluge:deluge". Historically, Arch users just ran the daemon as a normal user. This usage appears to be newly undesired (for security reasons?). The currently broken initscripts in 1.3.5-1, and some confusion concerning the new "deluge" user are causing a few users to break the initscripts further in order to "fix" them. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28847

The wiki does not make it clear what choice you make when you run deluged/deluge-web as a normal user. Well, you will absolutely break the (already broken) rc.d initscripts and they won't be able to start the daemon(s) as "your user" upon boot, like a few of you wish to do.  You must launch after boot as your user whenever you wish to use the app. But then DO NOT use deluge's rc.d initscipts because they proceed to kill your user-launched process, launch the daemon as the "deluge" user, and give you teeny-tiny headaches.

Conversely, when you execute the rc.d scripts at boot or later, you launch the daemon(s) as user "deluge". This breaks the old way of using the app as your user. This is desired behavior if you want to run the initscripts.

The fix included here cleanly kills all rogue processes not tracked in the /run/deluge/deluge*.pid files, and not launched by itself as user "deluge".  Question: Can someone tell me whether this issue is the same or similar within a systemd boot process?

I'll edit the Deluge wiki page after some feedback here.

I hope this helps someone!

Last edited by zero2cx (2012-06-26 09:33:30)

Board footer