You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-08 21:37:36

arooaroo
Website

Suggestions for improving Jacman [split]

Me neither. Obviously, the pkg.tar.gz was created with the same PKGBUILD, so I'm not clear what's up. I meant to get Dusty to check over my PKGBUILD to find any glaring problems, as he seems to be the Java PKGBUILD expert. I know my PKGBUILD is pretty messy, but it worked fine for a number of people.

Seems to be a problem with some of the bundled jars. I'll investigate in soon. In the meantime, using the pre-built pkg.tar.gz seems to be failsafe.

Penguin: Since you've built it a few times - do you have any comments in general about Jacman?

#2 2005-08-08 21:53:47

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: Suggestions for improving Jacman [split]

I like it, really no complaints smile
I think a "personal preferences" menu  would be nice, but not a big deal....

#3 2005-08-08 21:56:26

arooaroo
Website

Well, a Preferences dialog is planned for v0.3 (although it may get shunted to 0.4). What preferences in particular are you hoping to configure?

#4 2005-08-08 22:21:01

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I guess the only "preference" I wish I had was for it not to close down after a system update. Maybe even being able view all that package info from the "install packages" window as in the "upgrade" window.....little stuff like that.

It would also be nice to run pacman-optimize from it.

If you would like me to split this, give me the word, and what you would like the title to be. wink

#5 2005-08-08 22:29:58

arooaroo
Website

Yeah, splitting would be a good idea. Call it "Suggestions for improving Jacman" or something like that.

Back on to your comment, pacman-optimise will almost certainly be in the next version as it's something I've been thinking about (almost put it in v0.2 but decided against just so I could get speedier releases).

I didn't think people would be as interested in the full package info for the upgrade option because you're only choosing packages to ignore from the imminent update. It's clearly wouldn't be a massive effort to have all the package info in there I suppose. Wasn't my main priority.

Any Java programmers out there who wish to join the Jacman team?! Please!!! smile

#6 2005-08-08 22:44:14

soniX

Please give us all improvements and ideas you got!
Jacman is a project for the users of arch, so tell us what you want jacman to do, and how you want jacman to do it.
And we will do our best to implement it.

#7 2005-08-09 16:21:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

arooaroo wrote:

Any Java programmers out there who wish to join the Jacman team?! Please!!! smile

Maybe. ;-)  I'm very dissapointed in jacman so far. I wanted to install it for my parents, but I didn't realize I never downloaded a JRE for them. :oops:  So far I haven't been able to test it. :cry:

Ok, hope you weren't too shocked when I said I was disappointed in it. Just this java/dialup issue again.

I need to set up both my parents' and my sister's computers to be easy to maintain while I'm gone. I'm hoping I had the foresight to install the JRE on my sister's, then I can copy it to my parents'. If I did, I'll finally be able to test this beast! Otherwise... don't feel like unpacking my system to copy Java off it, but I guess I'll get around to it. ;-)

Since I don't know what jacman can do, I can't make suggestions. What I'd really like is support for building AUR packages from unsupported. Something that downloads the PKGBUILD, displays it, insists that you look it over to ensure it is not malicious, and then runs makepkg and installs it.

Maybe it already does that though. 8-)

Dusty

#8 2005-08-09 16:25:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Dusty wrote:

I need to set up both my parents' and my sister's computers to be easy to maintain while I'm gone.

Just setup VNC on all of them so you can log in and fix it.

#9 2005-08-09 16:47:35

arooaroo
Website

Dusty wrote:

Maybe. ;-)  I'm very dissapointed in jacman so far. I wanted to install it for my parents, but I didn't realize I never downloaded a JRE for them. :oops:  So far I haven't been able to test it. :cry:

Ok, hope you weren't too shocked when I said I was disappointed in it. Just this java/dialup issue again.

Don't worry, I can take it!

The most efficient way would be to build from the PKGBUILD. This is because the source package from Sun is much smaller than the prebuilt Arch package (by about 2x). This then becomes much more dialup friendly 15Mb rather than the 30Mb that the Arch pkg takes up.

#10 2005-08-10 22:47:53

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Nice little app, this one. yeah, got it installed.

My first feature request: Have an option to output a list of uris to download so somebody else can download the files for them.

So I can tell mom to open jacman, click the update packages button, click the 'get uris' button, which shows a window with a list of package uris and buttons to copy the list to clipboard or save it to file.

Dusty

#11 2005-08-11 00:04:54

soniX

hey dusty, thats a cool idea!
None of us broadband people would have come up with that one....

#12 2005-08-11 01:33:13

arooaroo
Website

soniX wrote:

hey dusty, thats a cool idea!
None of us broadband people would have come up with that one....

Well, that's not quite true. Things like this have occured to me in the past, because I was a Gentoo user before I got broadband. So I wrote a python script that I had on my workstation at home that grabbed the URLs. Then the same script could be used with that list on a machine with broadband to acquire the files, etc.

However, I had purposely made the assumption that all Archers had broadband, so I wasn't particularly worried about this. Having said that, pacman does provide the functionality, and so Jacman shouldn't deny the user access to it. Therefore, we shall endeavour to add it. Although, this could be the gateway to get Dusty into the project! You can have the feature... if you implement it!!   lol

jk

#13 2005-08-11 11:33:13

sudman1

Dusty wrote:

What I'd really like is support for building AUR packages from unsupported. Something that downloads the PKGBUILD, displays it, insists that you look it over to ensure it is not malicious, and then runs makepkg and installs it.

Dusty

I'm working on that for my ABS packager. The gui right now has been ported to GTK2 with java-gnome. But maybe once it's finished, I can port the GUI back to Swing and submit it to Aroo and the gang for inclusion into Jacman?

v/r
Suds

#14 2005-08-11 11:41:11

arooaroo
Website

sudman1 wrote:

I'm working on that for my ABS packager. The gui right now has been ported to GTK2 with java-gnome. But maybe once it's finished, I can port the GUI back to Swing and submit it to Aroo and the gang for inclusion into Jacman?

That's my boy! What's your time frame for this functionality, by the way? Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results.

I've asked Dibble about the possibility of direct access to the AUR database, rather than crudely scraping packages from the website. It's "in the pipeline", but no date as of yet. I obviously think the sooner the better because it will provide a much more elegant solution from a development point of view, as well as not giving the webserver a bashing everytime someone uses the scraper.

#15 2005-08-11 13:07:55

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Obviously it is the whole security issue that is the concern - people blindly building dangerous pkgs that FUBAR their system.

HOWEVER!  If you could only garb pkgs flagged as safe...that would be whole differnet thing big_smile

#16 2005-08-11 13:14:27

arooaroo
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Obviously it is the whole security issue that is the concern - people blindly building dangerous pkgs that FUBAR their system.

HOWEVER!  If you could only garb pkgs flagged as safe...that would be whole differnet thing big_smile

I've already been thinking about this for a while. It's simple to apply a default filter showing only safe packages. But, users may wish to seek non-confirmed packages, so they should be allowed. Dusty's suggestion about being forced to look at the PKGBUILD before makeing the package is what I'm intending to implement. It could be optional for "safe" packages, but will be compulsory to view (followed by a warning message) for non-approved PKGBUILDs.

#17 2005-08-11 17:18:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Another feature request: The ability to install packages from the filesystem (ie: using pacman -U internally). This way I can build packages for my parents or sister, e-mail or mail them to them on a CD, and then allow them to install them. That would actually be more useful to me than the ability to build AUR stuff.

Yes, I will implement these features eventually if somebody else doesn't do it first. I don't have a java SDK installed here though, so there is no way I'll get to it until I'm settled in Toronto -- mid-september at the absolute earliest, and that's assuming I'm not swamped with research/TA/course work and not more interested in python at the time. ;-)

Dusty

#18 2005-08-12 00:04:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

next one: Anility to cancel/interrupt a major update or install midway through (important on dialup if your sister has a sudden need to call one of her boyfriends mid-download). The only option right now is to killall java and then delete the lock on pacman.

Dusty

#19 2005-08-12 00:11:56

arooaroo
Website

Good grief - you dial-up users really create a lot of work!

#20 2005-08-12 01:25:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

the word is D MAN DING. (from the Chinese...)

Dusty

#21 2005-08-16 19:53:03

sud_crow
Website

arooaroo, here is an international request:

Does jacman have support for multiple languages? I mean, like adding other language files so you can choose between them?
If not, it would be a good time to start implementing it, if you like to.

Regards and keep the good work.  lol

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#22 2005-08-16 20:51:57

arooaroo
Website

sud_crow wrote:

Does jacman have support for multiple languages? I mean, like adding other language files so you can choose between them?

Yep, it's all implemented. There's no menu yet, because there's no alternative to English.

The latest labels file is here. If you translate it, I'll include it smile

#23 2005-08-19 13:40:27

sud_crow
Website

Hi arooaroo, here it is:
http://archlinux.com.ar/downloads/jacman-es.txt

Post something when you have a version running with it, i want to give it a try.

Some of the words are a bit conflictive to translate, the most problematic was "rollback", which is quite large, as it takes 3 words ('restaurar version anterior'). So you may have to check that everything fits smile

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#24 2005-08-19 15:53:33

arooaroo
Website

Thanks a lot sud_crow! That's fantastic smile Don't worry, I was expecting some of the translations to be difficult - it should fit. The buttons are dynamicly sized anyway.

It is in fact possible to test without Jacman being changed. It takes a few steps mind:

1. As root, goto /usr/share/jacman/ and run 'jar xvf jacman-0.2.jar'
2. copy your translation file into the i18n directory.
3. Rename your file so that it's called JacmanLabels_es.properties
4. Run the following (sorry, it's long, feel free to put it in to a shell script):

java -cp /usr/share/jacman/:/usr/share/java/jacman/looks-1.2.2.jar:/usr/share/java/jacman/glazedlists-0.9.6.jar:/usr/share/java/jacman/l2fprod-common-sheet.jar:.  -Duser.language=es andyr.jacman.Jacman

Notice the -Duser.language=es which means to tell the JVM that its to use the spanish locale. This then means that when loading the labels, it looks for a file with a "es" suffix, which now exists. You will now see your translations live!

Having just tried it, you're rollback translation takes 5 words. I think I'll shorten it to the one you suggested.

Anyway, feel free to test yourself this way. It'll be a while before the next version of Jacman comes out.

#25 2005-08-23 03:29:40

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I just tried out Jacman (as well as the other pacman GUI wink ).  It's very nice.  I have a suggestion.  Would it be possible to return to the main menu after selecting an option.  That way it won't be necessary to restart Jacman several time if you want to do multiple operations (upgrade, add pkg, remove pkg).

Keep up the good work big_smile

Board footer