You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-26 15:25:33

cperelstein

[SOLVED] booting arch with lvm2 on luks on raid

I've been working on setting up an arch install with entire system (minus boot) encryption on top of a raid array using grub2. I have an raid6 array, with an encryption on top of that, and then an lvm2 volume group. When I'm in the live cd, I have the following: /dev/md/system (which becomes /dev/md/jupiter\:system when auto assembled on boot), /dev/md/system (after cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/md/system system), and various logical volumes /dev/mapper/vgSystem-lv*. Currently, I get dropped to a recovery shell when the root file system fails to mount. Poking around, I notice that my raid array is up as expected at /dev/md/jupiter\:system, but I'm never prompted for the pass phrase to decrypt everything. I believe what I need is to specify cryptdevice in my grub.cfg, but I'm unsure of the exact syntax to use with that block device name. Does something along the lines of "linux   /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/vgSystem-lvRoot cryptdevice=/dev/md/jupiter\:system:system" look correct?

mkinitcpio.conf is (minus commented out lines):

MODULES="dm_mod dm_crypt"

BINARIES=""

FILES=""

HOOKS="base udev autodetect usb scsi sata usbinput mdadm_udev keymap encrypt lvm2 filesystems fsck"

Last edited by cperelstein (2012-06-28 01:56:30)

#2 2012-06-28 01:56:12

cperelstein

Re: [SOLVED] booting arch with lvm2 on luks on raid

In case anybody else is working on something similar, this site helped me get this working http://jasonwryan.com/blog/2012/02/11/lvm/. Not really sure what I was missing but I'm guessing it was something about the cryptdevice argument.

#3 2012-06-28 01:59:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

cperelstein wrote:

In case anybody else is working on something similar, this site helped me get this working http://jasonwryan.com/blog/2012/02/11/lvm/. Not really sure what I was missing but I'm guessing it was something about the cryptdevice argument.

No, that site lies!

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2012-06-28 02:09:05

cperelstein

Ha, that's fun. Thanks for the incredibly helpful blog!

Board footer