You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-27 17:49:35

Troopa
Website

[SOLVED] GuildWars2 on Linux causing problems!

Hi people

I want to play Guild Wars 2 on Linux. But since the second Beta Event (the first event and the first stress test I could play fine) i have trouble with the graphic settings or better explained, I can't play without lags (they appear every second!!!)

I saw on a website that somebody played it very well on Arch Linux 3.3.3-1 with the wine version 1.5.3

I'm running Wine 1.5.6
on ArchLinux 3.4.2-2

but I also tried with PlayonLinux with wine 1.5.4 and 1.5.3 but still doesn't work.

My graphic card is an ATI Radeon HD5670 (1024 MB) with the catalyst driver 12.4-5

so i ask following question to all other Guild Wars2 players who plays on Linux:

Can you play Gw2 without lags since the 2nd Beta Event? If "yes" what should i do that helps me or what have you done for it?

sincerely Troopa

Last edited by Troopa (2012-10-22 08:49:21)

gnomengineer; a blend (a portmanteau) of the words gnome from the high fantasy and engineer as in software engineer.

#2 2012-06-27 17:52:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] GuildWars2 on Linux causing problems!

Please refrain from using ALL CAPS in your thread titles: it is annoying an unnecessary. You will attract more readers (and therefore likely respondents) with an informative title that does not point out the obvious and without the internet equivalent of shouting.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-06-27 20:39:50

Darksoul71

My archlinux x86_64 host:
AMD E350 (2x1.6GHz) / 8GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce 9500GT (passive) / Arch running from 16GB USB Stick

#4 2012-06-28 08:20:44

Snakeye

They called it a stress test for a reason. The purpose was to test load conditions and stress the hell out of the servers. So naturally playing conditions weren't going to be great.

#5 2012-06-28 08:43:56

Gcool

Snakeye wrote:

They called it a stress test for a reason. The purpose was to test load conditions and stress the hell out of the servers. So naturally playing conditions weren't going to be great.

This pretty much.

Aside from that, I remember reading somewhere about how during the Beta weekends so far, most of the graphical stuff is being software rendered (and hence the performance isn't going to be great obviously).

Burninate!

#6 2012-06-28 18:29:53

Troopa
Website

first, thx for the fast answer

@Darksoul71: since the beta weekend i've not been searching for this on wine because while the beta was running i was searching there but there wasn't any answer. But anyway this conversation doesn't help me to find a solution.

@snakeye: it was not only this stresstest on June 27th also the 2nd Beta Event.

@Gcool: and what does that mean exactly for my problem?

Gcool wrote:

most of the graphical stuff is being software rendered (and hence the performance isn't going to be great obviously).

sincerely Troopa

gnomengineer; a blend (a portmanteau) of the words gnome from the high fantasy and engineer as in software engineer.

#7 2012-06-29 06:08:48

Gcool

I played on the second beta weekend as well. And eventhough I use the proprietary nvidia drivers, I had the exact same issues as you're describing (very laggy unless I switch the graphical details to very low).

Nevertheless, I'm not bothered by this because again:

1) It's a beta.
2) See my previous post.

Burninate!

#8 2012-06-29 07:59:55

Darksoul71

It might be possible that massive server load also currently causes slowdowns on the GW2 beta servers but there are indication in the other thread over at WINE I referenced above that certain combinations of AMD cards running a certain version of fglrx with a certain version of WINE have huge performance issues. This is why I linked to the thread. If this issues is also cause of the slowdowns described above is beyond my knowledge. Maybe only someone with identical versions of fglrx and wine plus identical hardware currently also playing GW2 knows the answer.

The answer of gcool indicates that there might be different issues independent from fglrx.

Last edited by Darksoul71 (2012-06-29 08:19:46)

AMD E350 (2x1.6GHz) / 8GB DDR3 RAM / GeForce 9500GT (passive) / Arch running from 16GB USB Stick

#9 2012-06-30 15:11:44

Troopa
Website

and what can I do? Wait and hope for a better Launch or buy a new graphic card or should i try another video settings?

#10 2012-07-01 09:52:20

Darksoul71

Well, I would wait another few weeks, test now and then to see if your slowdowns are releated to serverload.
If the slowdowns then still exists, I would try different combinations of WINE and fglrx. If nothing solves the issues I would watch out for an equally powered NVidia-based card.

I have an AMD HD4670 myself running inside a Sabayon box. Results are really mixed. Previously under Xubuntu I experienced massive CPU-load spikes with fglrx which forced me to switch to the open source radeon. HD acceleration with VAAPI never worked as well as VDPDAU with NVidia cards. I would watch out for used cards on E-Bay. Something like a 9500GT, 9600GT or 9800GT will often be available for ~ 30€ including shipment and often even with a good silent replacement cooler. At least here in Germany.

I guess something between a 9500 and 9600 should provide a similar performance level as your 5670.

#11 2012-08-22 08:30:21

Troopa
Website

hmmm... I've waited until the last Beta Event and surprise I could play the whole weekend. I never changed the settings, I've only switch to PlayonLinux but i used there the same settings as well.
a little bit strange but now I have some new trouble with wine, GuildWars2 and of course my graphic driver

this is my new problem.

err:winediag:shader_generate_glsl_declarations The hardware does not support enough uniform components to run this shader, it may not render correctly.

I cannot play anymore. the game has blackscreen before the update is running
I've got some tipps from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30330. Actually I'm at work, so I can't test these possibilties and i can't even get the debug output. The only thing i know its that this issue was before and after the system update with glibc

@Darksoul71: i haven't had time to buy a NVidia card and until saturday where the GW2 pre-start is, I can't buy one

and @all thx for your help up to here

sincerely Troopa

#12 2012-08-22 19:57:39

Troopa
Website

Now I tried to downgrade my catalyst driver update/downgrade or repair of lib32-catalyst-utils. With PlayonLinux i tried now to run with wine-1.5.4-gw2 and before with 1.5.4 and 1.5.9... but still doesn't work.

I thought another application for wine doesn't work too but i was wrong. I tried to run Project64 and it runs well.

I need help and i need it urgently, sorry but the pre-start is on saturday and i will find a solution for my problem until saturday.
I dont even try to patch wine nor i used the debug function. if one of theses can be the solution, please explain me how to handle it

maybe someone know the solution

sincerely
Troopa

#13 2012-08-24 15:59:26

martinjlowm

I get the shader error too, using catalyst 12.8 sad

I haven't played the recent stress tests, however it worked fine during the last beta weekend event.

I need to do some digging as well. Better find a solution soon!

edit:

Launch Gw2.exe with -dx9single works around the shader error

Last edited by martinjlowm (2012-08-24 16:13:55)

#14 2012-10-21 16:27:22

Troopa
Website

so its time to reply

thx martinjlowm your parameter for wine works well. the only problem i get with it, the dyes and armors don't update well on change but in further time it can be fixed perhaps with newer drivers

for all other wine guildwars2 player the bug for the mouse and the store are fixed AND for the CPU glitch it has a little "workaround" not well but it raise the FPS limit a little bit. simple, use taskset it works a little bit tongue

I'll try and report in the near future on winehq for GW2 and other game problems as far as possible for me big_smile

sincerely Troopa

Board footer