You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-29 17:00:09

Kitkin15

I want to use TOR With Transmission.

So back when i used Ubuntu i used Transmission, i had it set up to run with TOR so peers could not see my true identity. I did it just as explained in the first answer here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/29832/ho … nd-a-proxy

Now when i go into Preferences, there is no area for Proxy with Transmission. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled Transmission and it didnt help.

How do i set it up? I know Vuze is supposed to allow this, but i dont want to install Vuze because Transmission is much better and i dont want to install Gnome Dependencies.

Thanks

~Kitkin15

~Kitkin15
I hate systemd. <3 initscripts <3

#2 2012-06-29 17:23:34

drcouzelis
Website

Re: I want to use TOR With Transmission.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to configure a proxy with Transmission, but this topic is relevant to my interests...

What is the purpose of setting up Transmission to use Tor?

If you want to use Tor for all data that you download through bittorrent, isn't that bad for the Tor network? Tor wasn't designed to handle that much data.

If you want to use Tor only to download the torrent file, doesn't that leave your IP address vulnerable to everyone else in your swarm, including possible government agencies?

Last edited by drcouzelis (2012-06-29 17:23:58)

#3 2012-06-29 17:31:30

Lennie

Are you sure Transmission works with Tor?
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittor … -good-idea

The first attack is on people who configure their Bittorrent application to proxy their tracker traffic through Tor. These people are hoping to keep their IP address secret from somebody looking over the list of peers at the tracker. The problem is that several popular Bittorrent clients (the authors call out uTorrent in particular, and I think Vuze does it too) just ignore their socks proxy setting in this case. Choosing to ignore the proxy setting is understandable, since modern tracker designs use the UDP protocol for communication, and socks proxies such as Tor only support the TCP protocol -- so the developers of these applications had a choice between "make it work even when the user sets a proxy that can't be used" and "make it mysteriously fail and frustrate the user". The result is that the Bittorrent applications made a different security decision than some of their users expected, and now it's biting the users.

The attack is actually worse than that: apparently in some cases uTorrent, BitSpirit, and libTorrent simply write your IP address directly into the information they send to the tracker and/or to other peers. Tor is doing its job: Tor is _anonymously_ sending your IP address to the tracker or peer. Nobody knows where you're sending your IP address from. But that probably isn't what you wanted your Bittorrent client to send.

#4 2012-06-29 17:38:03

Awebb

I don't want to be rude, but in this case I must ask you to read more about TOR, about how it works and about the social aspect behind it.

#5 2012-06-29 17:52:56

alphaniner

"make it work even when the user sets a proxy that can't be used" and "make it mysteriously fail and frustrate the user"

Funny how one's perspective can frame the discussion.  I would have described the first as "blatantly ignore the user's settings" and the second as "poor error handling".

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2012-06-29 18:32:48

anonymous_user

I think transmission reads the http_proxy variable so you could play around with that.

#7 2012-06-29 18:33:03

DSpider

You really wanna download at 35 KB/s? Dial-up ftw.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2012-06-29 19:03:11

debdj

you wont have much speed with TOR, and anyway, it isn't designed/meant to handle bittorrent traffiic.

I never used transmission, maybe you could try with deluge.
But either way I'd discourage using tor for torrent downloads.

Read: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/why-tor-is-slow

Last edited by debdj (2012-06-29 19:03:21)

#9 2012-06-29 19:08:48

ANOKNUSA

Awebb wrote:

I don't want to be rude, but in this case I must ask you to read more about TOR, about how it works and about the social aspect behind it.

Why is no one else emphasizing this?  Running TOR while torrenting is, in effect, stealing others' bandwidth in the hopes of hiding your own (possibly illegal?) activities.  You'll torrent slower, others' systems will run slower, and you'll be using a network intended for private communications intended for a good social cause just because you haven't got the guts to own up to your choices.  What you do with your computer is your prerogative; the consequences for that should not be dumped on others.

If that's not enough for ya, the folks at TOR specifically request that their software not be used with BitTorrent clients, and several private trackers will ban your for doing so.

#10 2012-06-29 21:49:54

Kitkin15

Ok so to be more clear: When you use a proxy with Transmission it only hides your IP address from the Tracker list, it does not download the content through the proxy. Transmission does allow for proxies, but i do not see the area to add it when i look in my prefrences like i did when i had it installed in ubuntu.

I have been Ddosed twice this week from downloading Spongebob episodes. My IP Is out in the open for everyone to see (Which you should know) Is it such a wrong thing to not want my IP to be known by everyone?

~Kitkin15

#11 2012-06-29 21:58:41

Gusar

I somehow seriously doubt you're being ddos-ed because of Spongebob. And I also seriously doubt using tor for tracker communication helps in this matter. Your IP is still seen in the swarm. The only thing tor helps with is if bittorrent is blocked on your network. That's how I used it - tracker communication goes via tor, only encrypted peer connections allowed. This gets around the block. It does not help in any way with anonymity.

#12 2012-06-29 22:44:53

Kitkin15

Well when i ran Nmap (Which i do when i get online) it was just me and my brother on my connection (His laptop was doing nothing) And after a few hours my network froze up on me. When i ran Wireshark there was a ton of activity on my network, though my computer was currently not doing anything on my netowkr (Transmission was shut down) Not to mention a friend of mine who was downloading the same torrent was being Ddosed as well.

What i asked here was how to set Transmission up to use a proxy/VPN (Which in this case is TOR). For some reason i can not see the menu for setting a proxy up.

Yes downloading copyrighted material IS illegal. Why not hide myself? What kind of idiot would not want to hide himself?

Why can you focus on the original topic?

~Kitkin15

#13 2012-06-29 22:51:05

Gusar

Like I said, your IP is still seen in the swarm. Every peer you connect to has it, because peer connections do not go via tor. So you're not hiding yourself. The only way to do that is using a VPN.

I don't use Transmission, so I can't help with that. But I nevertheless thing my posts in this thread are fully valid, addressing some misconceptions you have.

#14 2012-06-29 22:51:18

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I'm closing this for two reasons: first and foremost, we do not condone ANY illegal activity https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … e#Legality

Second, as has been pointed out, TOR is not for torrenting.

Closed.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer