You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-09 14:02:43

Caspian

[SOLVED]Lock screen in Gnome freezes X

Hi, everyone. When the screen locks on my laptop it freezes the entire X. It tries to dim the screen before the lock and in the middle of the process it freezes. The desktop stays "half visible". The mouse works, but Gnome doesn't react to anything. I need to enter the init 3 level and go back to 5. This is really annoying since it makes it impossible to work normally and I have to constantly think about not locking the screen.
This is my VGA controller according to lspci:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

I tried to check for errors in .xssession-errors but it is impossible to find anything of importance there since it's full of davmail errors etc.
I've searched the forums but only found some issues regarding old kernel versions and I'm on the latest (3.4.4-2).
Any ideas?

Last edited by Caspian (2012-07-11 10:26:28)

#2 2012-07-09 20:55:02

andy_v

Re: [SOLVED]Lock screen in Gnome freezes X

Hey there, Caspian! Had a similar issue on my laptop as well. The system would freeze whenever I tried to change the brightness of the screen or whenever the screen was turned off after a certain period of inactivity. The issues seemed to disappear with some kernel updates and then with some they would reappear again, annoying really.
Try adding acpi_backlight=vendor to the kernel line in your bootloader. Haven't had any issues after doing that. smile
I hope this will help you!

#3 2012-07-09 23:56:50

benob

I am having the same issue, expect without dimming activated. At some point X freezes, but I can still move the mouse. I can switch to a terminal and type /etc/rc.d/gdm restart to restart X.

Will try the kernel parameter option.

#4 2012-07-10 08:26:24

Caspian

Thanks for your help andy_v but this unfortunately didn't solve my issue. It still freezes on lock screen.
This time I've tailed xsession-errors and got some fatal errors around the time the screen locked. You can see the errors here (scroll to the top):
http://pastie.org/4230467

I hope that someone can make more sense out of this than me.
Thanks in advance!

#5 2012-07-10 09:02:07

tctovsli

Both me and a colleague of mine also have this problem... I hope we can figure it out.
I've tried the acpi_backlight=vendor trick, but it didn't work.
However, I've noticed that right after boot, if I try to lock the screen and move the mouse, the "old-school" unlock-screen appears, and works. Not the new GNOME3 thingy.

The only notable thing I've also noticed, is this:

Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0

#6 2012-07-10 09:19:41

Caspian

tctovsli wrote:

Both me and a colleague of mine also have this problem... I hope we can figure it out.
I've tried the acpi_backlight=vendor trick, but it didn't work.
However, I've noticed that right after boot, if I try to lock the screen and move the mouse, the "old-school" unlock-screen appears, and works. Not the new GNOME3 thingy.

The only notable thing I've also noticed, is this:

Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0

I've cached the same Fatal IO error in my xsession-errors. It seems like we have the exact same issue...

#7 2012-07-10 09:35:40

sardaukar
Website

I'm experiencing the same issues, on a desktop, since this morning.

I have an NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 440] (rev a1)  (as stated by lspci), and I have all the new updates for nouveau, X, and libdrm. I had my PC up for a long time and had to reboot, so I'm not sure which kernel I was running before I started having this issue, but I'm on 3.4.4-2-ARCH now. I suspect it was from the update from 3.3.8 to 3.4.4.

Is rolling the kernel back a good idea? Thanks for any help.

#8 2012-07-10 09:38:50

Caspian

sardaukar wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issues, on a desktop, since this morning.

I have an NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 440] (rev a1)  (as stated by lspci), and I have all the new updates for nouveau, X, and libdrm. I had my PC up for a long time and had to reboot, so I'm not sure which kernel I was running before I started having this issue, but I'm on 3.4.4-2-ARCH now. I suspect it was from the update from 3.3.8 to 3.4.4.

Is rolling the kernel back a good idea? Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure if kernel downgrade would help you since we still haven't identified the problem (we don't know if it's kernel related). But you could try and get back to us with the results... wink

#9 2012-07-10 12:05:57

sardaukar
Website

I got an xorg-server and xorg-server-common upgrade just now, fixed it. Still, when the screen is locked, only one of the screens stays locked... :S

EDIT: spoke too soon, problem still present... gnome-shell is just hogging one of the cores. Any idea where logs may be getting written to?

Last edited by sardaukar (2012-07-10 13:23:42)

#10 2012-07-10 13:46:21

phingage

sardaukar wrote:

I got an xorg-server and xorg-server-common upgrade just now, fixed it. Still, when the screen is locked, only one of the screens stays locked... :S

EDIT: spoke too soon, problem still present... gnome-shell is just hogging one of the cores. Any idea where logs may be getting written to?

Same problem here, dual screen PC, only one screen look locked and impossible to unlock the screen, I have to kill xorg. Any solution?

#11 2012-07-10 15:41:23

Prophecy67

I suffer the exact same weirdness. I hope this'll get a followup soon. gnome-screensaver might be the boo-boo too given it kicks in after the dimming.

#12 2012-07-10 16:03:54

Jeffska

This is a bug in version 3.4.2 of gnome-screensaver.  Reverting to 3.4.1 takes care of it.  Bug report here.

#13 2012-07-11 10:25:59

Caspian

Jeffska wrote:

This is a bug in version 3.4.2 of gnome-screensaver.  Reverting to 3.4.1 takes care of it.  Bug report here.

It seems like gnome-screensaver downgrading did the trick for me. Thanks Jeffska.
Marking this as solved...

Board footer