You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-11 18:07:57

tranquility

Yet another pacman front end.

Hi folks.

This is just to let whoever cares that I've been working on a pygtk pacman front end named 'Guzuta' after the orange monster in Pac Man.
It currently supports pacman's database refresh, pkg install, remove, and regex search by name, version and description.
Criticism, ideas, bug reports, feature requests, etc, are very welcome, although I do not guarantee to listen to handle flaming properly. Anyone wanting to contribute is welcome to do so.
Try to keep in mind that this is very very alpha.

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/guzuta/

#2 2005-08-11 18:14:28

arooaroo
Website

Re: Yet another pacman front end.

Screeshot looks nice. Reminds me of Synaptic which is good. Add more screenshots. What's in the preferences dialog?

Can't seem to find any PKGBUILD on the AUR or the project site, so I can't try it.

#3 2005-08-11 18:27:32

tranquility

I'm glad you liked the screenshot. I intend to create a PKGBUILD in the near future when I finish up reorganizing the code to a more sane situation.

For the moment the preferences dialog is empty smile

#4 2005-08-11 18:36:18

arooaroo
Website

Ah, so it's CVS only for now then.

You're certainly in line to make many friends with the python/gtk approach. There's a high demand for this.

If you've been following the Jacman threads then you'll already see lots of suggestions for useful functionality. However, just make sure you get the basics sorted first.

#5 2005-08-11 18:45:21

tranquility

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually the regexp search was an idea you had and I thought it would be a good addition.

I'll be sure to continue to check out Jacman's threads wink

#6 2005-08-11 19:55:53

arooaroo
Website

tranquility wrote:

Actually the regexp search was an idea you had and I thought it would be a good addition.

Did I?! My memory is getting worse! It's an interesting idea. Admittedly, I'm not sure how much it would be utilised - my assumption is 99% of users would opt for a simple keyword search. Still, that's no reason not to add cool features.  It wouldn't be too difficult to add to Jacman, but I can't be bothered!!

tranquility wrote:

I'll be sure to continue to check out Jacman's threads wink

This is not mean't as some sort of self-promotion! It's simply that people have been offering suggestions in these threads and these would be equally applicable to any front-end, not just Jacman.

Having said all that, I always intend to make sure that Jacman is the best front-end in the community for as long as I'm part of it. So I'm thankful for the competition, because it gives me the motivation keep adding cool things wink

#7 2005-08-11 20:46:35

z4ziggy
Website

great work man smile looks very promising too.
have u used to python-pacman wrapper (i think by Xerces2) or doing it all "manually"?

im sure this will contribute to the "live" projects too. tnx for your work smile

#8 2005-08-11 22:41:41

tranquility

z4ziggy wrote:

great work man smile

Thanks.

z4ziggy wrote:

looks very promising too.
have u used to python-pacman wrapper (i think by Xerces2) or doing it all "manually"?

im sure this will contribute to the "live" projects too. tnx for your work smile

It is all done using pacman only, not xerces2 libpypac smile So I guess I'm doing it all by hand ...
I started to do it with hopes of helping some not so much console fluent Archlinux users. I think the power to choose between using the good ol' pacman or some front end (Jacman, gtkpacman, guzuta) is what makes free software so appealing and exciting.

So if you'd like to incorporate this in any project you might have and consider it to be useful, I'd be happy to help smile

#9 2005-08-11 23:08:18

arooaroo
Website

tranquility wrote:

It is all done using pacman only, not xerces2 libpypac smile So I guess I'm doing it all by hand ...

You're probably creating more work for yourself there then. Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the manual approach, but given that you're using python and libpypac is pretty comprehensive and robust I would have thought it the obvious option.

Still, whatever's comfortable for you.

#10 2005-08-11 23:47:51

z4ziggy
Website

i agree. using libpypac would only ease your work, and im sure u would enhance libpypac if u'll find anything missing, so thats a whole community contribution wink
also, regarding the package dependencies - there was an old pygtk script on the forums which showed package deps very nicely (treeview layout). u might find the code usefull.

again, cant wait for your next release smile

#11 2005-08-12 00:02:24

arooaroo
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

also, regarding the package dependencies - there was an old pygtk script on the forums which showed package deps very nicely (treeview layout). u might find the code usefull.

Even if you can't find the code it's dead easy anyway. I thought it was going to be tricky when adding this functionality to Jacman, but it turned out to be fine.

#12 2005-08-13 16:40:45

tranquility

Using libpypac is not out of the question. I'll look into it. Someday smile

#13 2005-08-13 19:10:46

xerxes2
Website

libpypac is totally free (no license) so you can use it as you wish, lazy-pac-cli (also no license) should cover it all so you can copy and paste from that otherwise it's not easy to learn how to use libpypac,

and if you want to change/add anything just submit some ideas/code and i put it in there, best way is to fix existing functions first if that's possible so that the number of lines could be as low as possible (keep it kiss),

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#14 2005-08-16 21:16:17

tranquility

xerxes2 wrote:

libpypac is totally free (no license) so you can use it as you wish, lazy-pac-cli (also no license) should cover it all so you can copy and paste from that otherwise it's not easy to learn how to use libpypac,

and if you want to change/add anything just submit some ideas/code and i put it in there, best way is to fix existing functions first if that's possible so that the number of lines could be as low as possible (keep it kiss),

Thanks for the pointers. I'll look into libpypac in the near future and if necessary submit patches and stuff like that to you.

On the other hand, I finally released it. Got the python setup to work, finally, so here it is http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=1800

#15 2005-08-16 21:28:35

cmp

I think there's a bug: if you click on "pseudo repros" it's exitis with the exception KeyError.
about the programm: looks nice, but it's too resource intense for my old pc.

#16 2005-08-16 21:51:08

tranquility

Thanks, I'll fix it now. Maybe using libpypac it will be less resource intensive. For now it parses pacman's output and is not very much optimized.

#17 2005-08-16 21:57:25

arooaroo
Website

I'm sure it will. I get the feeling that libpypac doesn't parse pacman output directly for all its information, and will in fact read directly from the source data that pacman itself uses to generate its output.

This is more quicker, and is the approach that I used in Jacman. Sure, this leads to the murky world of not being a "true" front-end, because pacman itself the source of all the info. Not that it bothers me. As long as pacman is used for the important stuff like installing and removing packages, then that's cool.

#18 2005-08-17 21:21:36

xerxes2
Website

libpypac doesn't use pacman at all so it will run as python code only, but python (internally) still wraps other libs for some things so it will not run instantaniously (is that a real word?) always,

and as arooaroo says you can use it for everything except install/remove stuff if you want, it will still save you tons of coding time, arooaroo has probably written almost half of libpypac in java so he knows what i mean,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#19 2005-08-17 22:22:03

arooaroo
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

instantaniously (is that a real word?)

Yep smile

xerxes2 wrote:

and as arooaroo says you can use it for everything except install/remove stuff if you want, it will still save you tons of coding time, arooaroo has probably written almost half of libpypac in java so he knows what i mean,

Indeed, which is why I wouldn't want to do it again if someone else had already written the library! big_smile

Maybe I should port libpypac to Java (eg, libpypacj), or maybe not!

#20 2005-08-20 17:32:11

venox
Website

I liked your application, works like a charm here...
What about a system tray (dock) icon? Something like that Windows Update (Fedora has one of that too, I think) thing, that tells you when new updates are avaiable...

Congrats for the nice application, I'm using it for now wink

#21 2005-08-20 18:53:59

tranquility

venox wrote:

I liked your application, works like a charm here...
What about a system tray (dock) icon? Something like that Windows Update (Fedora has one of that too, I think) thing, that tells you when new updates are avaiable...

Congrats for the nice application, I'm using it for now wink

Thanks for trying it smile System tray icon is planned for the next release smile If you feel like posting more feature requests, please feel free to do so smile

#22 2005-08-20 19:35:43

arooaroo
Website

tranquility wrote:

System tray icon is planned for the next release

Dang! It may look like we're copying, but we had recently planned to add this into the next version of Jacman - although, we intended to take it to a whole new level of having a client/server relationship where a server pushes updates to clients, via Jacman. Still, this is still in discussion phase at the moment.

#23 2005-08-28 01:04:09

tranquility

Released guzuta 0.0.2 wink

Guzuta 0.0.2 (28 Aug 2005)

* Better performance.
 * Rough trayicon support.
 * Better displaying of repositories.
 * Install package from file (pacman -U file support).
 * View pacman's log.
 * Preferences dialog.
 * Setting to insensitive all applicable widgets when running as non root.
 * Other stuff I forgot about.

PKGBUILD is here http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=1800

Have a nice day and to anyone using/trying it, thanks and please take the time to contact me with features, bug reports, etc. smile

#24 2005-10-03 23:39:23

tranquility

It's that time again wink

0.0.3 is out. To all of those 2 users actually using guzuta, thank you! wink

Guzuta 0.0.3 (04 Oct 2005)
 * Display package size in KB, MB, etc.
 * Go to package url by clicking in the package information.
 * Dependency checking when installing from file.
 * Added new option for specifying the browser to use when clicking in pkg URL.
 * Speedups interfacing with pacman. Much better usability.
 * Added an install from repository button and popup menu.
 * Quicker search capabilities.
 * Download only pkg button and popup.
 * Cache listing.
 * Fixed bug when pacman upgrading itself.
 * When selecting packages using the 'Selected' column, do not display
   information and popup.
 * Use own trayicon.
 * Fixed bug when adding a new repo to /etc/pacman.conf and not sync'ing. Guzuta
   now does this on startup if needed.
 * Fixed bug when looking for new updates and pacman reporting an error.
 * Erase cache selectively by X days old or by X versions old.
 * Show in a popup all the files of a package.
 * It now has a .desktop.

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/guzuta/
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=1800

#25 2005-10-05 07:38:10

z4ziggy
Website

i really like where u headed, and hopefully will add guzuta to Archie iso once it gets more mature. however, few questions -
* why the gnome-python-extras dependency? and why does it use gnome themes and not gtk? this makes guzuta look non consistent with gtk themes.
* are you planning on adding "groups" too (like the "repos" folder)? ie, e17, kde, gnome,xfce4. etc? it would be very usefull (as its done on frugpkg from frugalware).
* one thing i find annoying is the startup time - frugpkg is much faster in comparison - u might wanna look at their sources and checkout their way of doing things...
* and most important - any news about the libpypac integration?

keep up the great work smile

Board footer