You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-13 04:11:51

FJ
Website

OSS / XMMS hissing and popping sound

I decided I'd had enough with ALSA dmix not working properly with my intel8x0 (SiS onboard), so I decided to try the free OSS.  It installed OK and the sound test gave clear music.

I started the service (soundon) as root and then logged into KDE.  I set XMMS to use OSS and it started playing fine.  But then I noticed the sound hissing/popping every second.  How do I fix this?

Mplayer sounds just fine---nice and clean.

Also, what mixer can I use to change the volume?  KMix now crashes (I assume because it's ALSA only?)

This is my first time trying OSS.

#2 2005-08-13 04:51:32

Cam
Website

Re: OSS / XMMS hissing and popping sound

Arts is the KDE sound server, it could be crashing KMix if it's still trying to use ALSA, open up a control panel of some description and see if you can edit sound properties to use OSS. I've used OSS as well as ALSA for the same r eason as you, I got good quality sound but the free version doesn't have surround so I went back to ALSA faster than I thought wink You could try using ESD with ALSA rather than OSS, it's a sound server which should do your mixing for you without a hassle, much less hassle than dmix at any rate smile

EDIT: Actually, you're using KDE. Why not just use Arts to handle sound mixing? Should work fine and I think it might be a better option that ESD or even OSS if you're having problems. Btw sorry I couldn't help with fixing OSS but there are some alternatives big_smile

#3 2005-08-13 05:13:13

FJ
Website

Re: OSS / XMMS hissing and popping sound

I have not had much success with artsd either.  Maybe I'll just buy a real sound card.  Thanks for giving me some options wink.

Board footer