You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-18 02:42:33

matrix13

KDE in Arch: Multiple issues

Ever since I installed Arch linux with KDE on my machine I am having multiples of issues. I could solve many of them by going to google and this forum, but some of them but could not solved.

FYI, I will mention the system configuration. It is a Dell XPS 15 laptop with i5 processor and GeForce GT525M graphics card. I am dual booting Arch with Windows 7. Initially I had used Xfce in Arch. That didn't have any kind of problems. Now I completely reinstalled Arch with KDE as desktop manager as there were problems while keeping Xfce and KDE together.

I list out those unsolved problems.
1. First of all, I am not able to login to this forum from KDE. I tried with Konqueror and Chrome. Neither did worked. I could login with Xfce without any issues. I am posting in this forum from Windows.
2. The time displayed in linux is not correct. Still Bios and Windows are showing the exact times. Further I am not able to change the time and date in linux. Whenever I try to adjust I get an error message

Unable to authenticate/execute the action, code3

3. Also I am not allowed to change anything in system settings. Whenever I tried I get the same error message as above. I have tried as root, kdesu etc. with not success.
4. Kmix crashes regularly without any real reason. I will have to restart the application once I login.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 2012-07-18 03:30:17

ewaller
Administrator

Re: KDE in Arch: Multiple issues

2.  Is your BIOS clock set to local time, or to UTC? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … #Set_Clock
3.  Is dbus running?  Do you have dbus in the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-07-18 17:14:10

matrix13

2. I think I have solved this problem. In /etc/rc.conf I changed the value for HARDWARECLOCK from UTC to localtime. Now the time shown is correct. But still I am not able to change it.
3. Yes. dbus is included in DAEMONS in rc.conf and it is running.

Appreciate your help.

#4 2012-07-18 20:28:28

Mektub

1. I saw that some forum users solved this problem by disabling ipv6. Give it a try;

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ipv6#Disable_IPv6

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#5 2012-07-19 12:56:38

matrix13

Thank you Mektub. In fact, in my browser IPv6 was disabled by default. I enabled it. Now it is showing

Default address family: UNSPECIFIED

I do not know what does that mean. However, I am able to log into this forum. This post is from my linux machine.

One thing I failed to mention was that whenever I log into my linux machine, I get the KDE crash handler pop up window, saying that "KDE Daemon closed unexpectedly".

Details:
Executable: kdeinit4 PID: 713 Signal: Aborted (6)

Is it related to any of the problems I mentioned earlier?

#6 2012-07-20 07:07:58

DSpider

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE

Read it from the top. Carefully.

Start KDM from /etc/inittab, makes sure you have a proper ~/.xinitrc.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … tc.2Fhosts

Errors in this entry may cause poor network performance and/or certain programs to open very slowly, or not work at all. This is a very common error for beginners.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#7 2012-07-20 09:42:15

C6M6

4. do you have alsa in the daemons array?

#8 2012-07-20 18:47:08

bel3atar

If you have phonon-vlc, using phonon-gstreamer may solve the problem.

#9 2012-07-21 18:12:09

matrix13

@DSpider: I tried starting KDE from /etc/inittab. Still getting the same "KDE Daemon closed unexpectedly" error at start up. But, I do not have a .xinitrc file. Should I create one? And what script it should contain?
Also I checked /etc/hosts and correct according to the link. But, I could not recreate the issue mentioned in point no. 1. So I am unable to comment on the reason for the failure.

@C6M6: Yes. I do have alsa in the daemons array.

@bel3atar: Yes, I have installed phonon-vlc. I will try with GStreamer then.

Board footer