You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-13 22:47:39

oggb4mp3

vmware problem - missing /dev/tty0

I am trying to install vmware using arch kernel 2.6.12-ARCH and it installs okay, and with the latest any-any update the modules cmopile fine, bbut when trying to launch a virtual machine, I am getting the following error:

[msg.vt.devConsole] Cannot open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory.
[msg.vt.initFailed] Virtual terminal initialization failed.  Perhaps your kernel is not configured with virtual terminal support.

There is a /dev/tty, but only that, no /dev/ttyX devices.  Has anybody run into this?  I have never seen a linux with no /dev/ttyX devices.

#2 2005-08-15 05:47:02

oggb4mp3

Re: vmware problem - missing /dev/tty0

Okay, I know it is bad form to respond to myself, but why would udev not create /dev/tty(0-9) when a rule exists for them in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules:

# tty devices
SUBSYSTEM=="tty",       GROUP="tty"
KERNEL=="tty[0-9]*",    NAME="vc/%n"

Also, the kernel I am using is from testing, and seems to work fine in all other respects.  It appears that VC's are supported in the kernel, based on grepping the default config:

CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y

What am I missing?

#3 2005-08-15 17:32:54

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

the tty are located in /dev/vc. That's where the above udev rule creates them.  To solve your problem you'll probably need to change the rules to add a symlink.  (check udev man pages and wiki for info.)

#4 2005-08-15 23:17:00

Aletheuo

I created a quick bash script that symlinks /dev/tty0 through /dev/tty12 to /dev/tty and have the script run from rc.local.
It could probably be corrected in udev rules but I didn't have time to learn how and this fix worked fine.

Anyway if there is a better way I'll change to that but this works nicely.

Craig

Arch Linux (Duke)
JabberID:  cgill27@jabber.org
IRC: Aletheuo
Registered Linux User #354975

#5 2005-08-16 03:18:30

oggb4mp3

Okay, I solved my problem.  but not by kludging the tty's.  I found a PKGBUILD for vmware here  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … hlight=tty which creates a udev rule to create the correct devices.  I suppose you could just extract the udev rule and use that, but the package is nicer if I ever want to remove it or reinstall.  Thanks for responding

Board footer