You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-19 12:59:51

killercow

btrfs root, fresh installation followed by system update

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this repeats many previous posts about individual issues, but I've tried following all sorts of advice from forums and wiki to get this working.

I've just done a fresh coreinstall from a Live CD onto btrfs root and home partitions (using the wizard, ie. all default settings).

Following advice from the Home Page news and various forum posts, I have managed to get my coreinstall (which I now know not to do again, netinstall from now on!) up to date. No more packages require updating, including glibc.

I have installed this on a Hyper V virtual machine and snapshotted at this point before rebooting as a safety net [thank god I did!]. This has enabled me to restore these snapshots while I try various approaches to getting a happily booting system!

Back to the issue,

Following these updates, as soon as I reboot I get the following errors:

:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
[1.452041] ata2.00: revalidation failed (errno=-22)
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid ...
ERROR: Unable to find root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/...'
You are being dropped to a recovery shell

So to fix this issue, I have restored snapshot and tried:

mkinitcpio -p linux 

with mkinitcpio.conf as follows:

MODULES=""
BINARIES=""
FILES=""
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems usbinput fsck"

before rebooting - no luck.

I have also tried the same adding btrfs to HOOKS (ignored error with btrfs.fsck first time round and also tried symbolic link trick to btrfsfsck, though I know from bug report that btrsfsck is not a compatible API)

Any help much appreciated. To say the least, it's felt like an uphill struggle the whole way - but feel I'm soooo close!

Thanks in advance!

[Update]

I have been following some of the instruction on elasticdog's similar issue but lvm2 has nothing to do with my setup. I tried it anyway, but no luck. I have also tried following pineapple-biku's advice with no luck. Although the error message I get is different:

Booting the kernel.
[1.299216] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[1.301067] Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.4.5-1-ARCH #1
...then there is a call trace, which I can provide if needed.

Last edited by killercow (2012-07-19 14:15:40)

#2 2012-07-19 20:37:26

Alber

Re: btrfs root, fresh installation followed by system update

I know nothing about virtual machines.

This error could be from grub2 config file. But not sure. Try create a manual entry.

ERROR: Unable to find root device '/dev/disk/by-uuid/...'

I can just ask if you watch that:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … root#GRUB2
Surely you readed it.

Last edited by Alber (2012-07-19 20:37:56)

Because not all of us are native English speakers, try no to use slang or abbreviations, thank you.

#3 2012-07-20 15:59:32

killercow

Re: btrfs root, fresh installation followed by system update

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually using syslinux but did use that wiki page to help. Still no luck. I have actually opened up a seperate forum post with regards to Hyper-V issues with the newest kernel which may what is at the root of the issue.

Will see how I get on in this other post.

Board footer