You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-19 23:57:58

gemma
Banned

libltdl and libtool-multilib

the libtool base package contains libltdl, but the libtool-multilib package contains no equivalent, does that mean libtool-multilib uses libltdl from the libtool package ? If i am rebuilding the libtool-multilib package ( eg on new gcc version on custom  toolchain ) do i need somehow to rebuild libltdl aswell or does libtool-multilib not use libltdl ( they do not conflict through dependencies )

#2 2012-07-20 11:08:12

Lone_Wolf

Re: libltdl and libtool-multilib

looking at dependencies, libtool-multilib uses lib32-libltdl and libtool .

Since you mention building with a custom toolchain, you might have to rebuild lib32-libltdl and libtool also.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2012-07-20 17:30:49

gemma
Banned

but isnt it tru that libtool and libtool-multilib conflict? , and isnt lib32-liltdl only for compiling x32 libs on a x64 system? if compiling x64 on a multilb toolchain is libltdl used?
My script rebuilds the toolchain ( as one of the options )

linux-api-headers -> glibc -> libtool$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX -> binutils$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX -> gcc$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX ->libtool$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX -> binutils$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX -> libtool$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX -> glibc -> libtool$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX -> gcc$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX -> libtool$_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX

( obviously $_AXE_MULTILIB_SUFFIX is dependant on weather in a multilib system )

which is roughly taken from the gcc PKGBUILD.

The issue is if on a multilib system should libltdl be fitted in there, its a pain to build cos its part of a split package ( libtool ) which conflicts ( but libltdl DOES NOT conflict with libtool-multilib ) but its very possible, just need to know if its needed, i have had the toolchain build sucsesfully many times, but also had some build fails, maybe thats something to do with it.

#4 2012-07-22 23:36:31

Lone_Wolf

geema, looks like i made an error in my previous post.

lib32-libltdl AND libltdl are needed for libtool-multilib.

While lib32-libltdl is indeed needed to compile 32-bit libs on a 64-bit system, i'm 99% sure it is needed at RUNTIME by some multilib applications.

Since your custom toolchain is multilib, you probably have such applications.

Namcap, LDD or readelf can help you determine if the multilib applications you want to run need lib32-ltdl .

The same goes for libltdl and your pure 64-bit applications.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2012-07-22 23:37:13)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2012-07-23 07:50:58

gemma
Banned

thank you very much, after some research i have come to the same conclusion.I am not using the multilib toolchain personally, but i wanted my AXE script to fully support an arch multilib setup. Maybe it should be common knowledge that one should rebuild libltdl when constructing a new multilib toolchain ( ie when one rebuilds libtool-multilib) , its by no means obvious smile

Board footer