You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-15 13:52:19

johnr

[SOLVED] upgrade from 2.6.10 to 2.6.12.2 - usb storage prblm

Like the title says, rebuilt custom kernel using PKGBUILD. Went from 2.6.10 which was working well, to 2.6.12.2.  Made the change because some messages saying "jack... no longer needed to run as root ... blah blah blah... upgrade to 2.6.12 kernel" when doing system update (pacman -Syu)

So used the same kernel config to start with, opened config in new /src (make menuconfig), check some settings, changed nothing, ran makepkg, installed.

booted up much faster! and memory management seems to be even better that 2.6.10 (stopped using 2.6.11 because it seemed to not be as good at memory management). Had some trouble with VMWare install, couldn't get virtual ethernet working right, installed "any-any" patch (even though wiki says not too) and that solved that problem.

Was running 2 VM's and everything was/is working sweet... except... system does not recognize USB Flash drive. Same flash drive, same USB port worked fine in 2.6.10. If I reboot using 2.6.10, drive works fine again.

From the root CLI, I plug in the USB drive, I get these errors:

Cannot enable port 5
hub_port_status failed (err -32)
Port 5 reset error -110

I have lspci -v shows that I have USB hubs requiring UHCI OHCI and EHCI... UHCI and EHCI are compiled into the kernel, OHCI is a module.

Hotplug is enabled, I use udev. I use a serial USB cable for syncing handheld and it works. The Flash drive just does not get recognized, no sda/sda1 shows up in /dev

Any guidance would be helpful.

#2 2005-08-16 20:02:19

johnr

Re: [SOLVED] upgrade from 2.6.10 to 2.6.12.2 - usb storage prblm

So I guess this was a poor post on my part... thought it was good...

But I found a way around. Re-compiled kernel without EHCI and UHCI built in, instead as modules. Now when I boot, Hotplug loads all three modules, but I go in and rmmod the EHCI one. Then all works fine, but slower I guess.

I suppose it is some problem with the ICH4 Intel USB or the NEC USB, both are on the motherboard.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm still open to solutions/patches to solve. BTW, 2.6.12.2 with the patches in abs is incredible! so fast, and excellent use of memory. Doesnt even hiccup under the load of two VM.

Board footer