You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-24 15:19:40

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

SuSE Enterprise Desktop does an automatic EFI installation

The SuSE Enterprise Desktop v. 11 (Trial) installation DVD will boot via EFI, do an automatic GPT format of a hard drive, and create an EFI-bootable SuSE installation.

I should note that my target drive was already formatted GPT from a previous installation of another distro. I'm not sure what the SuSE installer would have done if presented with a virgin drive.

Before booting the installation DVD, I set my machine to boot EFI-only. Many distros' installation disks will still not boot via EFI.

I mention this only because a number of people are experimenting with EFI and GPT and may find it useful to see how another distro sets itself up. I installed SuSE to a 60Gb SSD that I picked up at a low price and am using for test installs.

I don't know about OpenSuSE; SuSE Enterprise Desktop is the commercial version of SuSE but offers a 60-day free trial. You don't need DVD2, just DVD1.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2012-07-24 16:38:50

karol
Archivist

Re: SuSE Enterprise Desktop does an automatic EFI installation

Doesn't Fedora do it too? It's free.

#3 2012-07-24 16:42:00

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: SuSE Enterprise Desktop does an automatic EFI installation

karol wrote:

Doesn't Fedora do it too? It's free.

When I tried Fedora 17 a couple of months ago, it did an EFI installation just fine. I'm mentioning SuSE just to call attention to different distros that have accommodated efi and gpt in their installation routine.

Last edited by dhave (2012-07-24 16:45:47)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

Board footer