You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-25 16:11:19

Jamyupsuhsuh

Installed, grub issues

Absolute beginner here, please help. I recently installed arch Linux through a net install live cd but screwed up my partitioning order. I installed grub in that state and I got error 17 when loading up my grub.... After a bit of research, I fixed my partition order by doing
fdisk /dev/sda then selecting x "advanced functionality" and then f "fix partition order"
Now I get grub error 15 when loading.
I'm guessing this is because my grub can't find certain files because my partitions switched?
Currently writing this on my iPad... But my linux partitions are
/dev/sda/6 (Linux) and /dev/sda7 (swap) it used to be /dev/sda6 (swap) and /dev/sda7 (Linux) before "fix partition order"
Help this newbie out please?

#2 2012-07-25 16:13:44

Jamyupsuhsuh

Re: Installed, grub issues

Also, everyone seems to be configuring their /boot/grub/menu.1st file.... I can't find mine when I do
Find /boot/grub/menu.1st in the live arch Linux cd....

#3 2012-07-25 16:40:01

aias

I will answer your second post:

the file you are looking for is menu.lst not 1st. (LST not 1ST).  check in /boot/grub/.

#4 2012-07-25 17:03:22

Jamyupsuhsuh

Oh thanks. So I did find /boot/grub/menu.lst and found it on the live cd. I noticed that the root for arch Linux was set to hd(0,0) when it should be hd(0,5) (right? Because my Linux partition is /dev/sda6) and so I fixed it.
However, I rebooted and same error so I checked the menu.lst file again.. And it's set to hd(0,0) again... Even though I saved it last time before quitting. So I figured maybe I ought to chroot into /mnt and do it. But there is not menu.lst in /boot/grub. Is that the problem?

#5 2012-07-25 17:21:55

DSpider

I think you were editing some other menu.lst file. Because there is no such thing on the Arch install media.

Anyway, GRUB Legacy support has been dropped recently. Read the archlinux.org front page.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2012-07-25 17:22:09

aias

ok. so I am assuming when you say /mnt, you mean you have done something like this from the live CD prompt:
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt

correct? if so, you need to check /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst to correct the issue (no need to chroot).

second issue: 
I recently ran into a similar issue on another install and there I did a couple of things (don't know if you need to do these)
1. changed the root in menu.lst like you are doing (root(hd0,5) should be correct)

There was a really good write up on this for fedora on the web that I used but I can't find the web page now but it went something like this: I found this page, which maybe useful:
http://danleff.net/myarticles/fedorains … ives5.html

2. type grub
at the prompt:
grub> root (hd0,5)
grub> find grub/stage1
if it's successful, try this:
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

that worked for me.  note that it was a CentOS install - so they had a device.map file in the /boot/grub directory.  I had to change the order in there but I don't see it in my Arch linux install. so I am leaving that part out.

if you get an error in any of the steps in step 3, we need to do more troubleshooting.

#7 2012-07-26 20:50:07

Jamyupsuhsuh

sorry for late reply. I was absolutely retarded and didn't install the grub after i did grub-install. Everything's fine now ^^

#8 2012-07-26 21:02:23

DSpider

You mean you didn't configure it after installing the grub-bios package with pacstrap.

Tip: Do not forget to configure the bootloader before you reboot. This is a common beginner's mistake.

Or did you forget to generate the .cfg?

Anyway, you should mark this topic as solved (by editing the first post).

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer