You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-25 23:31:17

hotlikedimes

[SOLVED] unrealircd without ssl?

Hey guys, I recently picked up a raspberry pi and decided to try out running archlinux for my needs which are basically a mumble server, unrealircd server and a web server.  I've run into an issue with unrealircd, one that's happened to me on windows as well. For whatever reason I can't get the configuration to work with unrealircd + ssl.  The second i install the non ssl server and run my .conf it's fine and i can connect. Is there a package without ssl? I'm still new to the whole pure command line linux and all that so i'm not sure how to easily browse the different packages.  So either if there's a non ssl package, or a way to disable ssl in the .conf would be lovely to know about.  Thanks guys!

Last edited by hotlikedimes (2012-07-27 01:25:29)

#2 2012-07-26 00:34:43

Pres

Re: [SOLVED] unrealircd without ssl?

What error messages specifically are you getting with unrealircd and ssl? I don't remember that being much of a challenge to set up.

Looking at my configuration file, just had to tell it where to find the certificate and key:

set {                                                                                                                                   
	...                                                                                                       
	ssl {                                                                                                                           
		certificate ssl.crt;                                                                                                    
		key ssl.key;                                                                                                            
	};
};

If you really want to disable it, try removing the "ssl;" line from the port configuration section and link section (not sure if anything else needs to be done, but that's the only references I can find to ssl).

#3 2012-07-26 02:39:03

hotlikedimes

I'm not getting an error message, it's just that I'm unable to connect, and on the windows side when I run the same config on the non-ssl version as the ssl version it connects. One of the other things that I found out in trying things is this command

sudo /etc/rc.d/unrealircd {start|stop|restart}

any of the switches results in a fail.   It might very well be that I'm not doing it right, but when I do unrealircd it loads the config, and initializes ssl and then goes back to the command line, so i'm not really sure what the issue is.  whenever i try and connect it gives me connection refused.

#4 2012-07-26 03:15:16

Pres

How exactly do they fail (post the output)? Also, what client are you using? Does it support ssl?

#5 2012-07-26 03:58:50

hotlikedimes

There's no output to be had, just fail.  the only other thing i get is when i try and do the restart and it says busy followed by fail.  Is there some sort of log or dump that would give more information? I do realize i'm being about as vague as possible... smile

and I'm using mirc with the openssl library installed.

and another aside, loading up all the tasks I don't see unrealircd, which was initially one of my thoughts, that the daemon isn't loading at all, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't... my config file is pretty basic, I have the hostname / port / password / and admin stuff changed, everything else stayed pretty vanilla.

Last edited by hotlikedimes (2012-07-26 04:15:34)

#6 2012-07-26 12:20:20

Pres

Check /var/log/ircd/.

#7 2012-07-26 20:22:05

hotlikedimes

ok it's saying that it failed to load ssl cert server.cert.pem.  So my question rather than HOW DOES I MAKE WORK@!?!?! is going to be where does it pull the ssl server info from, is it from the ssl config? there aren't any lines with server.cert.pem in my unrealircd.conf so I'm unsure where it's pulling that SSL server from.

#8 2012-07-26 20:38:27

Pres

You need to generate an SSL key and then sign it (self-sign most likely unless you want to pay a certificate authority).

This tutorial should be fine (through step 4). Just modify it to your own needs:
http://www.akadia.com/services/ssh_test … icate.html

Then just modify the lines I posted above from my config to tell unrealircd where the key and certificate are (I had them in the same directory as the configuration file).

Either that or just disable SSL. Should only have to remove the lines from your port configuration and the link section (though not 100% sure if anything else needs to be done).

Last edited by Pres (2012-07-26 20:42:07)

#9 2012-07-26 22:30:04

hotlikedimes

ok, thanks a bunch for the help so far, I've got it up and running now and I'm just getting a lovely 10053 error through mIRC which seems like the most generic error you can get ... I'm double checking my .conf file to make sure I didn't miss anything...

#10 2012-07-26 22:36:27

Pres

Can't help you there since I don't use mIRC. You can check with another client such as irssi. Just run:

/connect -ssl <host> <port> <password>

Password is optional if you don't have one on your server.

#11 2012-07-26 22:49:18

hotlikedimes

Well, it works with irssi, I don't remember what I changed in the time I brought up irssi, but hopefully it works in mIRC!!!  Thanks again for all your help!

for whatever reason even though I have a default ssl port set through mIRC i had to do + infront of the server port for it to work.. well it works now!

Last edited by hotlikedimes (2012-07-26 22:55:22)

#12 2012-07-27 01:12:08

Pres

No problem... glad you got it working. Don't forget to mark the thread as solved.

Board footer