You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-26 16:36:48

araex

[SOLVED] BIOS not detecting USB Drives after i installed Arch

SOLVED: In BIOS under 'Advanced' disable 'Fast BIOS Mode'.

Original post:
--------------------------
Hi there!

I'm fairly new to the arch (and linux) scene and just setup my Samsung 530U3B with a brand new installation of arch. Everything went fine and the system is running flawlessly. Almost.

I just happend to notice that BIOS is not checking for USB drives anymore, it just somehow skips that part. If enter the boot selection, the bootable USB drive won't show up. Neither does it show up in BIOS setup. I tried to boot with the same USB drive that i used to install arch just yesterday, the live media does not boot - the drive doesn't even blink. The boot priority is set to usb drive first, the boot selection screen (hammering f10 during boot) doesn't give me any other option than to boot from the normal SSD. Also, prior to the arch installation (came with w7 installed) the BIOS screen would stay for about 2seconds and then proceed to boot - this doesn't happen anymore. When i press the power button greeted by the grub bootloader in about 1s.

I tried 2 different usb drives, both with the arch iso (same that i used to install the currently running OS, downloaded yesterday). The drives also show up once my arch is booted (starting to blink just after i hit enter in grub). Also, both drives boot without a problem on my desktop computer.

Anyone got any ideas?

I don't really now what kinda of information would be helpful so i'm just dumping stuff i know:
BIOS: Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Version 04XK
Machine: Samsung 530U3B
SSD: Samsung MZ7PC128HAFU-000
ISO used to install (checksum ok): archlinux-2012.07.15-netinstall-dual.iso

Last edited by araex (2012-07-26 16:57:47)

#2 2012-07-26 16:45:57

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] BIOS not detecting USB Drives after i installed Arch

The boot priority is set to usb drive first

Welcome to the forum.

If you just set the USB stick to be first in the boot order, the next option (from the list) takes its place the moment you unplug it. You need to set the BIOS to boot from your equivalent of "Removable Devices" first, "Internal Drives" second and "Optical Drives" third.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-07-26 16:51:35

araex

DSpider wrote:

The boot priority is set to usb drive first

Welcome to the forum.

If you just set the USB stick to be first in the boot order, the next option (from the list) takes its place the moment you unplug it. You need to set the BIOS to boot from your equivalent of "Removable Devices" first, "Internal Drives" second and "Optical Drives" third.

The USB stick doesn't show up at all. I set the priority as follows:

1. USB HDD
2. USB FDD
3. USB CD
4. SATA CD
5. SATA HDD
6. NETWORK

I used that same configuration to install arch. USB doesn't seem to initialize at all. Also, if i enter "usb" in the grub commandline, no devices are listed.

Thanks!

UPDATE:
I just figured it out. In my BIOS under 'Advanced' the 'Fast BIOS Mode' was enabled, once i disabled it, everything went fine. I don't remember changing that option. Silly me.

Sorry for your time

Last edited by araex (2012-07-26 16:56:30)

#4 2013-03-02 14:01:05

dooblem
Website

I also discovered that USB boot is not working on the blue USB 3 port.

On the classical gray USB 2 port it's booting fine.

Board footer